Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Richard, I'm looking at Dropbox after your advice and wondering

Hi Richard, I'm looking at Dropbox after your advice and wondering if I have to drag and drop files in order to back up? I want to be able to back up all my files/photos etc automatically without having to drag and drop everything and for it to automatically save anything new. Can I do this on dropbox as I can't see how? Sorry if this is a very basic question!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
What you do is move all your files to the Dropbox folder and then work from them directly there, then it is all automatic.
Even without internet you still can access the files, but you move all your files to it then you work from your files there. This is the best way to use it.
Let me know if you have any difficulties please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So do I work from the dropbox folder in my computer's hard drive or the dropbox folder via dropbox?

Is there an alternative service to dropbox where I don't need to move the folders, so I can set up an account and it backs up automatically or do they all work in a similar way?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
From your computers hard drive, as that is direct to dropbox.
They all work this way as its the best way it can work, to work directly on their server, so no matter what you never lose your data
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I just moved a folder in my C drive to the Dropbox folder but it is not showing in my Dropbox account. I logged out and back in again. What am I doing wrong?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
give it some time to synch, it first needs to upload it to the server.
When you see the Blue icon turn to a green tick on the computer, it means its all uploaded and ready to start using.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, when I send to Dropbox it is making a copy to dropbox. Is this the best way or should I move into dropbox without copying to it?

Does this use up double the storage on my PC if it is copied?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You should move the files to the dropbox folder on your computer, not copy as this may confuse you with multiple copies.
Then give it some time to synch and then work on the files directly there.