Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

My husband died 2 years ago. I managed to get into his Hotmail

My husband died 2 years ago. I managed to get into his Hotmail account recently but now it is telling me that there is a code to be sent to an old telephone number which he had which no longer exists. How can I change the phone number and get into his account. This is necessary as I need some information in order to close his estate.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
The only way to change the telephone number is ***** you have access to the account.
You said you managed to get access to it, and now you get asked for a code, is this on the same computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I used a different computer at the time as I have now updated to a new one. I managed to get access to it but must have been about 12 months ago and have not bothered since

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, the request was because you used a different computer.
Can you still get access to the old computer you original did it on? As you can then sign in and change the phone number.
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have no access to the old computer and so this really is a problem. I really must have access. Is there some way that Hotmail will allow me access due to the circumstances

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No, and I hope you can understand, else we could just as easily give access to your husbands account to anyone.
One solution, though unorthodox is to call the number that he use to have, speak to the person and ask them if they can tell you the code sent to them.
Are you able to try this please Pam?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have just tried the phone number and no-one answers even though it does ring. I will try later and see if I can get an answer from someone and if so then I will explain the problem

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, if that fails then your only other option is to manually request that microsoft look at your request, though and I wont mislead you, it is rare they act due to security concerns.
But to make use of this option, as the methods I am going to share with you are not made public by hotmail but they do in fact work. You will need to be patient though as it could take a couple days. Considering you are about to lose your accounts though, a few days is worth the wait. It is incredibly important that you very carefully follow my instructions so you complete the procedure correctly.
An option is to reach out to a hotmail representative on their forums, they have access to look deeper into the account and sometimes can help in these situations.
First you are going to need to create another email address with Hotmail. Please go to the following link to create that.
https://signup.live.com/signup.aspx
Once you create the new address do the following.
Please click http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/hotmail/hotmail-support
Tell them you have not been successful with the recovery form.
Be sure that under "Enter the email address (Microsoft Account) affected by this issue:"
You provide them the email address that is blocked and not the new one.
Under ‘Enter your contact email address:' give them the new account you just created.
In most cases they will respond in 24-72 hours, depending on how many requests they have waiting before yours.
A moderator will take a closer look at your account and work with you to try and help you get back in.
As well as sending the message directly to the moderator it can sometimes be quicker to reach out to them in their public forums and they may message you or ask you to message them privately with more information.
Go to the following link and click ask a question on the upper right hand side of the page. A box will appear. In that box type what has happened. Remember to be very polite and give as much information as you can. Here is the link to the forums:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/hotmail
Microsoft/Hotmail takes account security very serious which is why they make this so difficult and make you confirm all of that information. It is to prevent unauthorized access to your account.
I hope that this information helps you get into your account. I would kindly ask you to remember when you are asked to rate my service you are rating me personally. You are not rating hotmail or their procedures or your frustration with the situation which I know is difficult.
If you require any additional information at all, or have difficulties with my instructions, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen and then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.