Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

My Amazon Kindle has just been charged hours but is

Customer Question

My Amazon Kindle has just been charged for two hours but is not working. The orange light shows when the lead is connected, the green light shows for a second when I slide the switch, but then goes out. The screen is very, very faded, and reads Empty Battery.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.

.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.

Even if it does not look like it is charging and even though it may be fully charged charge it using a different wall outlet than you normally do (a different room is best) for at least 10 minutes. Use a different charger cable if you can as well, a lot of cell phones as well as tablets use the same type of charger.

Do not skip that even if it is fully charged from you already plugging it in, it is important to do it.

It sounds like the firmware may be frozen try this and let me know the results hold the power switch for at least 60 seconds.

Try this at least 6 times.

The firmware can sometimes get frozen the same way that a computer will occasionally.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried all of the above and although the screen flickers slightly when we slide the power switch, it still isn't working.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That is not a good sign. Did you use a different charger as well? How old is the Kindle? If over a year old did you get an extended warranty? When it flickers, what exactly is on the screen?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes we tried another charger and another plug. The Kindle is three years old and I don't have an extended warranty. The screen is very faded, the heading still reads Empty Battery, the book titles are just about visible behind a criss cross of vertical and horizontal lines.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
It sounds like you may have a failing battery, even though they are rechargeable they do eventually die. When that happens they no longer hold a charge but will sometimes say 100% as the charge the battery can still hold is at 100%. On the back there is a tiny model number that is hard to see. Put it under a light, what is that model number?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

D00901

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Thank you, ***** ***** screen dim both on and off the charger? Does the dim image ever change if you press any buttons?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, dim on and off the charger, and it doesn't change when I press any buttons. The only sign of power is the ***** *****ght when it's on charge, and briefly the green light when I slide the switch.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
It sounds like your battery most likely failed and needs to be replaced. You can get a replacement from here: Click Here That is the cheapest I was able to find it. Here is a video that shows how to replace it: Click Here

there is a small chance the same thing will happen with a new battery which would indicate a board failure. Due to that some people do decide to replace the Kindle rather than change the battery. If you go that route I suggest calling Amazon first.

They sometimes give a discount on new models if you send the old one in. You also will not lose anything you bought. Everything you bought gets saved to your Amazon account rather than saved to that specific device. That way when you get a new Kindle you can download it all again.

If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know.
If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.
Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Kindle.
.