Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

I have a Toshiba Tecra A5 60Gb hdd on which I want to reinstall

Customer Question

I have a Toshiba Tecra A5 60Gb hdd on which I want to reinstall XP. I have used Toshiba product recovery discs but this has failed to replace the OS, giving me the message "windows could not start as the following file is missing or corrupt:
You can attempt to repair this using the Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM - which I haven't got!
I have checked both recovery CDs and cannot find this file on either.
How can I reinstall XP?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Have you tried using the recovery discs to start over again yet?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I tried this twice.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Do you still have you serial key? Do not give it to me I just need to know if you have it or not. It is possible your hard drive is failing as well which is causing this, why did you originally reformat?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I haven't. This PC is one that was supplied to me by a company I worked for several years ago.
I wanted to try reinstalling XP as the screen behaviour wasn't good - it was slow in response and on boot up opened up line by line from the top of the screen downwards. It was also very slow - ID used Wise cleaner on it and Ccleaner which didn't improve so I thought 'flatten the lot and do a clean reinstall'
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Everything you just mentioned could be caused by a failing hard drive. Check the bottom and under the battery etc. Sometimes the key will be there. I can give you a windows xp iso to burn onto a disc and use to install but I can only do so if you have a key or it is piracy. From what you are describing though it sounds like the drive has bad sectors on it and needs to be replaced. Smaller drives for machines like this 60GB you can usually get cheap on eBay. If the drive is the cause with a new one the recovery discs should install properly.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So what am I looking for on the bottom?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
A windows serial number or key. It would be on a sticker sometimes under the battery.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Theres a Windows logo sticker with both a code GF6.... About 11 digits, then underneath that is a product key with 5 blocks of 5 digits. Which is correct
.
Also on another sticker is a series of numbers under the serial number - about 24 letters/numbers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
The product key is it, does it say which version? It should be something like windows xp pro, or home etc.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it's XP professional
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Download this and you will need to burn it to a CD:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=25129

If you do not have anything that will work with it now you can use the free version of power iso from here, go slow during the installation and do not install any of the extra stuff:

http://www.poweriso.com/

Once you have burned that instead of using the recovery discs use this to reinstall windows xp.
When asked use the product key on the machine. If the same thing happens after this I hate to say it but the hard drive would have failed and need to be replaced.

If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know.
If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.
Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Toshiba.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, sorry I've just been for a bite to eat.

So, to summarise - run the two recovery cd's from Toshiba, then use this first hyperlink off a cd then the iso cd?

what about if I get a replacement HDD (ssd) is it a straightforward job of installing the drive then what? run the recovery cd's again? this is something I've never had to do before.

Please note - the poweriso website has been blocked by my pc as an unsafe site. Are you saying its ok? I was intending putting both fils on one cd

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
No do not use the recovery CD's at all.
Use the ISO it their place.

Poweriso is fine as long as you go slow during the install, I use it myself..
It has PuPs (potentially unwanted programs) in the installer that are like ads and can install things like toolbars which is how they pay for allowing users to use the software free.

Any of these will work in it's place but it is the easiest one to use:

http://alternativeto.net/software/power-iso/

Even after replacing the hard drive use the ISO I gave you instead of the recovery discs.
It will save you a lot of time when it comes to windows updates.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK thanks!

I've just ordered a new ssd

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I would have tried this first as your drive may not be the problem the discs could have been and an SSD may not work properly on an older laptop. If you can cancel that I would and then would try the ISO with your current drive. If the same thing happens let me know so I can help you find a replacement drive, as older models may use IDE instead of SATA to connect, most newer machines and almost all newer drives are SATA especially SSD's. The difference is a different type of plug in.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi I've burned the file to a disc, checked it on my other pc and then put it in the Toshiba.

No joy. Plugged into the internet too to ensure it can download - but it just goes through the cycle of boot up. It wont change to boot from the cd drive - or when I change it to that, and boot up next time I look its defaulted back to the hadr drive.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Did you make sure to use the save and exit option? That would not be caused by the hard drive. That is caused by the motherboard as that is where those settings are stored.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes I saved and exited.

So you think its the motherboard that's the problem?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
It could be, will it still boot off the recovery discs or does it do the same thing as when you try the iso?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it boots from the cd with the recovery discs but not from the cd with the iso file.

im letting it run with the recovery discs

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
The iso should run the same way as recovery discs, once you switch to booting from the CD as the first, it would say press any key to boot from cd. You would press any key and it should start up. Check the CD on your computer and make sure it burned properly.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I already did when I'd burned it. 544MB. checked it again

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I meant the actual files rather than the size, how did you burn it? Burning the iso directly will not work which is why I sent poweriso.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Im trying re burning it using with different software. I used the windows program - this time I'm using Power2Go.

I burned directly to disc from my Download file (W7). I haven't used the poweriso - do I need to?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
It has to be an iso burning program like I mentioned before. Power2Go should work if you use the image burner like this: Click Here
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

power2go has burned it correctly - 4 folders and 7 files, put it in the Toshiba and it won't run even when ive set it to boot from the cd. just goes to the same dos start up screen with options - safe mode, s/m with networking, etc.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
It should have come up before that. Try booting into safe mode and see what happens.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

just get a dos screen as it runs through the files, then a splash screen with Toshiba then back to the original screen with the dos script with the same 5 choices safe mode, s/m with networking, etc

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That should not happen it should boot just like the recovery discs. Check the bios and let me know what the priority list/device order is.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In the Boot tab:

+HDD

CD/DVD

FDD

LAN

I can change the boot order to CD/DVD, go to Exit and Save changes and Exit (or F10) - but it then goes back to the original start up screen, if I then go back into the BIOS and its returned to HDD

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Change it so HDD is last, then use the normal save. Move to any other bios tab and then back to see if it actually saved.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how do I do that? the order is fixed isn't it? you just highlight it and save the change?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Now you should be able to highlight one and then move it with the arrow and enter keys. In some BIOS versions after pressing number on it you enter the number you want it in the list.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ive done it. just trying to boot up.

no luck the cd is whirring but not reading - just goes back to the start screen

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
If it is whirring it should eventually come to a press any key to boot from cd screen.
If you check the bios did it actually save now? If it did not check the bios clock and then restart in a couple minutes, did the clock reset itself? The motherboard has a small watch battery on it that could be reverting it every time if the battery died.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

got as fae as the Pre boot execution environment, then DHCP tries, then it exits the disc

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
It tried to load the disc then, what happened when it exited did it show an error?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not an error as such - the DHCP runs for about 30 sec, then it says PXE-MOF, the exiting PXE ROM

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
PXE-ROM is a hard drive error meaning the cable is disconnected on a laptop that connection is directly from the board. That would actually confirm the problem is most likely the hard drive.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

A connection or the actual hard drive?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
The actual drive the error refers to the connection. But if the drive fails and can not connect properly this same error comes up. In the off chance the same thing happens with a new drive it would be the motherboard. It loading as far as it did from the disc though makes me believe it is the drive itself.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok I can check out connections but the ssd will be here tmrw.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Did you check the IDE/SATA like I mentioned before? From the PXE error you most likely need IDE and the SSD will probably be SATA.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

your system is strange. I replied to this saying i'll have to cancel it as its sata. has this not come through?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
No it did not thank you for letting me know again. Remove your current drive, here is how to tell which you have:
//f01.justanswer.com/ref/http_www.techsupportforum.com/forums/attachment.php%253Fattachmentid%253D123149%2526amp%253Bd%253D1363114417

Here is a guide that should work for your model on how to take it apart: Click Here You only need to go to step 3 to get to the hard drive.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks, ***** *****!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You're welcome and I thought it might be due to the age and error. You can usually findIDE drives cheap on eBay. There are different sizes make sure you get a laptop/notebook one. Most likely 2.5" your current drive should say the size on it. Desktop drives are normally 3.5".
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, I know the difference - I completely forgot that laptops are generally IDE in the older models! Looking on ebuyer they don't seem to supply 2.5 IDE drives at all. so its going to have to be ebay or other sources. I do wonder if its worth spending on it. Shame, it was a nice compact size.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Whether or not it is worth it would be up to you. Peronsally I normally parts older models out and sell the parts on eBay. With something like yours though I normally list the motherboard and hard drive AS IS with an explanation that they are untusted and may not be working. Other than that the older models usually aren't worth anything so a lot of people throw them away.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I ordered a new IDE drive off eBay it should be here on Monday. I'll let you know how it goes on.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've been looking for the details/spec for the motherboard but been unable to fin day. Do you know what the model/serial number is, and if they are still available? Alternatively is there an alternative replacement?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You would have to go by the model number on your board itself. Toshiba has used different models over the years. So using the number that is listed on your board you should be able to find it. It could be a K000030030 or a K000030740 for example.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I've tried the new hdd and no joy. I've found a replacement system board 2nd hand guaranteed. I'm waiting for delivery at the moment. Should be here this week.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok.
.