Russell H.
Russell H., Computer System Tech
Experience:  11 years experience
13568747

My Toshiba laptop doesn't burn cd's properly all the time.

My Toshiba laptop doesn't burn cd's properly all the time. Usually only 1 in 4 turn out ok. What do you reckon?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jerry Hannell replied 1 year ago.
Hello sir/madam, I would like to help you, please let me know when you are ready.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

With all due respect I would not. Is there any other way I can do it?

hi, are you using the computer in question now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Attempting to burn an audio cd now. Will let you know how it turns out.

you are welcome,

i will be here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just tried a Verbatim CDR & didn't work. Trying a TDK audio CDR now.

waiting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Seems ok, still not convinced that the problem is fixed though as the first cd did not work which is what normally happens. I sometimes do radio shows and use these cds for that. Occasionally the cds do not play in the studio Denon players also. I'm a bit pissed off with it. Any other ideas?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Waiting for your reply...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is anybody there?

I am out of ideas. Let me opt out and open this question to other experts. If no expert opts in back we can continue.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the disc burner is not always successful with completing discs, there are some things to try for the problem:

1. use a disc cleaning kit, to clean the disc lens etc. Here's an example:

http://local.sears.com/Maxell-DVDLC-DVD-Lens-Cleaner/p-05737947000P?st=1424&sid=IDx20141117x00001xlpla#!/

In these cleaning kits, you usually have a fibrous disc, which you apply some cleaning solution from an included bottle to, then insert it into the drive and it rubs against the parts that need cleaning in the disc drive.

2. use less-cheap blank discs. This is not always a solution, but it can be what is indicated, if it produces better and more favorable results. It's not by any means a sure cure! but it is something to try.
The cheapest of blank recordable discs, is more prone to failure, either to write or to finalize or to prove fully readable after finalizing the disc.

3. change your CD (or DVD) burning software. Or, switch to the most basic means of burning discs that you have on your computer - likely to be the software provided with the computer and already installed on it. If that's the software you are using, then if you cannot switch to other software, at very least, set the 'speed' (e.g. 16X, 8X) to a lower number (for instance, if 8X, set it to 4X or 2X.) Sometimes a combination of this, that, and the other (various factors) makes it necessary to run the burning of a disc slower than the maximum reading speed of the drive itself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi sorry for the late reply had to go to work. I'll give it another go with the cleaner etc. I have already tried with a slower speed & it seems ok at the mo (burned 3 cds earlier). I have also tried an external burner with its own software but had the same problem . Which software / burner would you recommend?

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
What software are you using already?

Nero 'Burning ROM' is supposed to be standard software for CD-making. DVD-making? maybe not so much, but I haven't kept up with its reputation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've got nero but usually just burn from iTunes. Should I use nero instead?

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Nero is bound to be better - once you have it 'adjusted' - than plain old iTunes. I can swear to that much.

That is, provided that you don't have a defective hardware element in the system. So try getting a cleaning kit, too - if that and Nero (again, properly installed and 'adjusted', which shouldn't be too hard... though an installation problem might be diagnostic of some problem with the hardware, so watch for such things and note details carefully esp. error messages...)... if a cleaning kit and Nero don't fix matters up considerably, you have defective hardware almost for sure at that point.
Russell H., Computer System Tech
Experience: 11 years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Cool. I'll give it a go & let you know. Thank you.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
OK.

(If this finishes the case as far as you are concerned, please rate my Answer... favorably I hope. Thanks.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Pretty much yes. I ran off a couple of cds earlier & they seem to be ok. Just one more thing if I may. When you say 'adjusted', what should I be doing?

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Nero is a flexible program. It may require a little tweaking to fit your hardware, your disc media, and your needs and preferences.

In short, it's a powerful program, and really good, once it is configured a bit. You'll have fun if you take a hopeful attitude to it.
(With the reservation, again, that you might possibly have bad hardware... but even that seems to have been ruled out by current recent results.)

Thanks, ***** ***** luck... and if you rate this question, there's still 'room' in the rules for you to follow-up on this with a query about a detail of Nero configuration.