dresteve2000
dresteve2000, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ years of Desktop, Laptop, and Server troubleshooting and support.
71208907

We were on before but had to come off due to an emergency,,,,,,,,,the

Customer Question

We were on before but had to come off due to an emergency,,,,,,,,,the problem first manifested itself when I was connecting my earphones prior to going on a walk. The screen showed "now playing" but nothing was happening - no sound. I then was connecting it to the computer to see if I could sort it. I referred to the Manual but was unable to solve the problem. The screen said to eject before disconnecting but I was unable to do this and eventually had to pull the USB plug from computer. The screen was frozen and even after disconnecting I was unable to close down the ipod.
Category: Computer
Expert:  dresteve2000 replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question!So to resolve your problem it might be best to perform a factory reset on the iPod. Do you know if iTunes on your computer recognizes the iPod when it is plugged in at this time? What version of iPod is your device?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Classic 160

Thanks for that info and so do you know if iTunes can see your iPod at this time? If so, do you see an option to "restore the device"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No

What does the screen of the iPod show? Does anything happen when you plug it in to the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Circle in red with cross and at bottom of screen www.apple.com/support/ipod

OK, so at this point you need to put your iPod in to "disk mode" to restore it.
Disconnect iPod from your computer.Manually put iPod into Disk Mode.Open the latest version of iTunes and connect iPod.Restore iPod.
iPod devices with a Click Wheel If necessary, verify that your iPod has a Click Wheel.Before placing the iPod into Disk Mode, verify that it is charged.Toggle the Hold switch on and off (set it to Hold, then turn it off again.)Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons for at least six seconds, until the Apple logo appears.When the Apple logo appears, release the Menu and Select buttons and immediately press and hold the Select and the Play/Pause buttons until the Disk Mode screen appears.Connect the iPod to your computer; the screen on the iPod will should say "Do not disconnect".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I do that and where do I find disk mode

So the 2nd set of instructions I sent tell you how to put your iPod in to disk mode
Toggle the Hold switch on and off (set it to Hold, then turn it off again.)Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons for at least six seconds, until the Apple logo appears.When the Apple logo appears, release the Menu and Select buttons and immediately press and hold the Select and the Play/Pause buttons until the Disk Mode screen appears.Connect the iPod to your computer; the screen on the iPod will should say "Do not disconnect".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nothing happens it has gone back to the red circle and cross with the support link on the bottom

Could you give it one more try? The steps must be done in a very particular order or it will not enter disk mode..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We are doing everything you are saying but cannot get the disk mode it keeps reverting to the red circle with cross etc

The iPod isn't plugged in to the computer is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no

Try these steps: Older iPod models without a Click Wheel Before placing the iPod into Disk Mode, verify that it has a charge.Toggle the Hold switch on and off (set it to Hold, then turn it off again.)Press and hold the Play/Pause and Menu buttons until the Apple/iPod logo appears, then release them. This resets iPod. When you reset iPod, all your music and data files are saved, but some customized settings may be lost.When the Apple logo appears, immediately press and hold the Previous and Next buttons until the Disk Mode screen appears.Connect the iPod to your computer; the screen on the iPod should say "Do not disconnect".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tried that and it goes back to red circle this ipod DOES have a click wheel

If you are having difficulty putting your iPod into Disk Mode, set it on a flat surface. Make sure that the finger pressing the Select button is not touching the Click Wheel. Also make sure that you are pressing the Play/Pause button toward the outside of the Click Wheel and not near the center. If you are still unable to put your iPod into Disk Mode, use one finger from one hand to press the Select button, and one finger from the other hand to press the Play/Pause button.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Done that just goes back to red circle etc

Very strange...it should go in disk mode. Not sure why it refuses to do so. The only option at this point would be to take the device in to an Apple retail store so they can troubleshoot it...even if you are out of warranty they can assist you with it as long as it is software related and does not require any hardware...do you know of an Apple store near you? I could assist you to locate one if necessary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think the nearest is Aberdeen

https://www.apple.com/uk/retail/unionsquare/So you would want to go to that link, select "Genius Bar" under store services, then select "iPod" and then "iPod classic" Then follow the instructions to create an in store appointment
Please let me know if you have trouble creating the appointment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry you haven't been able to solve the problem as I'm sure you are too. Regrettably I am not a satisfied customer so I presume I will not be charged. Thank you for your time and patience.

Right...sorry I couldn't resolve it for you either...couldn't do much if it will not enter disk mode. If you would like to request a refund you can do so with JA customer care, I cannot do it for you as I am not in billing. If you rate with positive feedback here for my service you can close the question and then contact customer care.