Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

There, I do have a very important question regarding a specific

Hi there, I do have a very important question regarding a specific operation I'm trying to program into apple numbers (in many ways similar to excel)... could you reply to this just so I know there is someone on the other end!! thank you
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
I am here, what is the problem you are having with numbers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Richard!

I'm currently designing a prototype platform for the UK solar industry. Over the last 4-5 months i've become reasonably proficient with numbers and understand the majority of the functions, and have been able to get around most of the problems... streamlining as i learn more... however... I can't seem to find a solution to the last hurdle.. which is as follows.

I want to store/lock/freeze a particular value in a cell.

ideally i'd like to use a 'stepper' in increments of 1, such that i can say, when the value of the stepper cell equals '1, 2, 3' etc... a value that is entered/calculated in another cell is then stored in another cell, and that this 3rd cell holds that value even when the stepper is increased... how the buggery does one do that!!!

resh

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you cannot assign values to another cell from within a cell, the change always has to be done in the cell itself.
But then in the other cell, use an if statement to set when the value should change.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry richard, that didn't help clear things up.

I'm sure you get some really 'slow learners' here... i'm happy to be treated like a very slow learner!!

the formulae (for cells A1, A2, A3 etc) i'm trying to write goes something like this..

if cell B1(stepper) = 1, then cell A1 = the current value in cell C1

however if cell B1(stepper) = 2, then cell A1 still equals the value of C1 when B1(stepper) equaled 1....and then cell A2 will be exactly the same formula except when B1(stepper) = 2.... and when B1(stepper) =3 A2 will still equal the value of C1 when B1(stepper) was 2... and so on and so forth...

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, thats how I understood it.
What I am trying to say is you cannot assign a value FROM a Cell to another Cell.
So you cannot say from cell B1, Cell A1 =
You have to put a formula in Cell A1 itself. This is how it always has to work.
Do in cell A1 you would put if B1 = 1 then C1
The actual formula you put in A1 is
=IF(B1=1,C1,0)
Does that make sense to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

lets say c1 = 200

a1 = IF(B1=1,C1,0) was my starting point... but if i increase the value of b1, then A1 = 0.

which isn't what i want... if i increase b1.. i still want a1 to equal 200... i want to freeze the value

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, its always going to change depending on the statement, that you cannot do so you will have to manually set it then.
There is no way to freeze the value, only to have it set upon a set of rules.
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry