Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

We have a UE46ES8000 TV which insists on only giving one user

Customer Question

We have a UE46ES8000 TV which insists on only giving one user account for Netflix. It goes straight into my user account and has no facility to access my wife's account - and it's her TV!
We have deactivated and reactivated, required all devices to log-in to netflix, tried using several other screens to use up the access for my account, all useless:(
Can you suggest a solution please?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Its a strange method but you do it via your computer by signing all devices out.
To do this, on your computer go to
https://www.netflix.com/ManageDevices
And sign out all devices.
Then open it on the TV and you will be asked to sign in again.
If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen and then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm pretty sure that I've already tried this too but I'll give it another attempt!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, it will sign it out of your accounts, make sure you are signing in on your computer on the account that the TV is using.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't tell if it is going to work as there is an up-to 8 hour delay on the sign-out. I've changed my user name from Phil to Philip and that is reflected on the netflix screens - i.e. "Continue Watching for Philip" ...

I've just rebooted the TV - and it's still going straight into my account. I'll try again later and see what happens, but I suspect the software on this 3 year old TV is the problem. I have the latest update but suspect Samsung cannot be bothered to fix the issue. One of the other TVs is a PS59D6900 from 2011 and again even with the latest software it will not offer netflix, so our solution for that is a BT youview box.

Still no effect from signing out - I'll try again later!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you can juts reset the TV Phil as this will clear it.
Go to Settings, choose Reset and it returns the TV to new, so you will need to sign into Netflix again when you open it.
Let me know the results please
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Reset the TV, autotuned the channels, clicked netflix - straight into 'Philip' profile - no change at all:(

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
on your computer, change your netflix password.
Then on the TV, watch a movie.
Does it allow this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Changed password ***** computer and rebooted TV

Clicked on Netflix and it went straight into my user account as before, without requiring a password.

I guess that it may take 8 hours to enforce the new password ***** but I have tried on this TV so many restarts with password ***** that I doubt it will make any difference.

So - I waited the 8 hours, put in the new password ***** and went straight into my user account. Still no change. I think I'll have to buy a BT you-view box to get the facility to change user profiles...

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Phil
Are you sure its on the computer your using Netflix and not a Recorder it is connecting to?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard,

I've refrained from giving feedback so far as at this point I'm no further to solving it than when I started!!!

I do have the TV attached to a Samsung BD HDD recorder, would that make any difference to the way the TV handles netflix?

Incidentally, the remote on that partially failed and I was able to reset it by removing the batteries and discharging the chip by pressing the buttons - as per a google search!

Cheers,

Phil

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
What model recorder is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's a BD-C8200M

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, its not the recorder thats the issue.
Disconnect the internet to the TV
Does Netflix then still open?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Whether disconnected at the wall or at the TV, netflix does not open - I'd have been surprised if it had since I think I'll need to set it up with wifi after the reset. When reconnected to t'internet it goes straight into my netflix user profile as usual.

I have also tried using the Samsung web browser (bing) but netflix wants to upgrade to chrome, safari or firefox and I have no idea which system the TV uses 32/64 bit etc....

Sorry this is turning into such a saga;-)

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Its ok Phil
You cant do it via the web browser though.
If you press Menu on the remote control, while within Netflix, what then opens?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning Richard,

I get the Menu with the usual options - Picture, Sound, (Channel), Network, System, Support

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, when you reset the TV as per the instructions I gave, it reset everything to new, like you just purchased the TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then it is very strange as that wipes all data, its not technical possible to keep the data...
It looks like its not really resetting it Phil.
What happens if you From within the Netflix application, use the arrows on your remote to enter the following sequence: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Up, Up, Up, Up.
Select Sign out or Deactivate.
You should now be given the option to sign in as a different Netflix member.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've deactivated 3 times using this sequence and each time I put in my email address and password ***** netflix and when it opens - straight into my user profile with no option to change user:(

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You say
and each time I put in my email address and password ***** netflix
But you want to put your wifes in right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I may be misunderstanding the netflix system, but does it not have just a single login email and a single password? - that's what I use on all the other devices

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I think I see now the issue Phil
You are referring to a profile, not a different account.
This TV only goes into the default Profile, you can not change this.
a Different Account, is an actual 2nd account with Netflix.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm terribly sorry if I've misled you with the wrong usage of profile/account. I have a single account with two user profiles and I think you're saying that this particular TV has no facility to change user profile?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Its no problem! and makes sense as it was strange you could not sign out of the account
And that is correct, it cannot change user profiles.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you get the 5 star rating - I wasn't sure it had clicked through?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I did, thank you Phil.
If you need anything else, please let me know.