Ashik
Ashik, Computer Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), Professional Experience in Windows, Mac and Linux
16433418

Virus on mac from iCloud

virus on mac from iCloud
Category: Computer
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
Could you please explain your question little more ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi sorry it's ta***** ***** to respond my Mac is running super slow & not opening pages Infact it took me over 10 mins just to type my email add & over two hours for PayPal confirmation page to show up I'm at work now but have left mac running for you to gain remote access
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joel, slowness of your Mac doesn't mean it has virus. It means either the system files are corrupted or your hard drive itself is failing. In fact there are no viruses for Mac that cause these kind of issue.
I've seen this problem before and most of them ended up replacing the hard drive.
So, I want you to backup all your important files to an external hard drive ASAP.
Now we can do some basic troubleshooting steps and see if it works or not.
First reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below to reset the PRAM and NVRAM
Turn off your Mac.
Turn it back on and immediately press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys at the same time.
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.
Release the keys and let the Mac bootup.
If that didn't work, then restart your Mac and immediately hold down Shift key on your keyboard for 15 seconds and this will boot into Safe Mode. Does it work better in Safe Mode ?
Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
A rating is only required when we are finished this session. Remember, you are rating my service to you and not this website or the outcome of the answer. We might be dealing with an hardware issue that I can't resolve from here but we can identify the problem and I will guide you to the right direction to get it resolved
Please don't rate me bad or poor service if you don't like my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not at home now but my Mac is up & running can't you deal with this via remote access
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately No. I will not be able to access it remotely without you being there. Also the steps I sent you require restarts and that will disconnect me. Try those steps when you get home and let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay bye for now
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Have a great day Joel.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joel, I'm just checking. Were you able to run my troubleshooting steps ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ran the first one no joy I installed os maverick
But still not working I'll try your second tip
Later as I'm at work now & let you know
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Really slow access time indicates an hardware issue i.e with the physical problem with hard drive.
Since you already tried reinstalling OS X and doesn't work, it is indeed an hard drive issue.
See this article --> http://scsc-online.com/Bad%20Hard%20Drive%20Signs%20and%20Symptoms.html
I'd strongly recommend to back up all your important files to external hard drive ASAP.
Since you already tried reinstalling the OS X, my second suggestion will not have any effect.
I suggest you to take your Mac to the Apple Store and replace the hard drive. Other components like logic board, RAM etc are fine. It will cost less than $120 to replace the hard drive unless you want a high capacity or SSD. If you want to instructions to replace the hard drive yourself, please let me know and I will send them.
Your current hard drive is not reliable and not safe any more.
If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.
Ashik, Computer Technician
Experience: Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), Professional Experience in Windows, Mac and Linux