IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786
Computer

I have a Galaxy S10.5 Bronze and I cannot open pdf attachments.

Can you help please?
Category: Computer
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Please tell me what happens when you attempt to open PDF attachments.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

Nothing happens at all except for a message telling me that I must download the attachment before I can open it

IT Miro, Computer Scientist replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information!

You probably don't have any PDF reader app installed on your Galaxy S 10.5 tablet. To be able to open PDF attachments, you need to have PDF reader app installed.

So, please go to Google Play and search for Adobe Acrobat Reader and select to install it - it should be the first search result.

Once you have installed it, you will be able to open PDF attachments.

Let me know if you require further assistance.

Regards,
IT Miro
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

I already have Adobe Acrobat installed and up to date

Oh, I see.

Which e-mail app are you using to access the e-mails and attachments?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

I do not know the name but it's the one that was on the tablet when purchases and is the same as on my Samsung mobile

There is the default Mail app and there is the GMail app. Please see these images and let me know which e-mail app you use - the first or the second one.

graphic

graphic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

The first one

Thanks for confirming!

Please open an e-mail with a PDF attachment. You will see the two or more tabs at the top, such as: Message and Attachment 1

Tap on Attachment 1 and it will display the first attachment. If it is a PDF document, then you will have two options: Preview and Save. To open it quickly, tap on Preview. The attachment will then open with Adobe Acrobat Reader.

If it isn't a PDF document, tap on Attachment 2 or other tab to look for the attached PDF document.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

I am familiar with what you say but the pdf will not open bcause it has not downloaded, hence my original question

In order to open the PDF, it has to be downloaded from the e-mail server to the device first. By tapping on Preview, it will download to a temporary folder and then open it automatically. If you tap on Save, the PDF will be saved in the Download folder so you need to go there and open it.
By default, the Mail app setting is set NOT to download the attachments automatically to save on Internet data usage.

If you are connected to the WiFi network, you can enable the option to automatically download mail attachments. To do that, follow these instructions:

1. Open the Mail app
2. Tap on the menu icon located in the upper right corner (icon with horizontal 3 lines)
3. There tap on Settings
4. The general settings window will appear. Tap on the More settings option located at the bottom
5. You will now see more options. Find the Auto-download attachment option and check its check-box
6. Return to the e-mails. The attachments will now be automatically downloaded for future e-mails as long as you are connected to the WiFi network

I hope this helps!

Regards,
IT Miro
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

My app has 3 dots not 3 lines. I followed you instructions opened the more settings and there is no Auto download option listed there

OK, it looks like you have the latest Android version (Lollipop). The instructions are different for it.

1. Open the Mail app
2. Tap on 3 dots located in the upper right corner
3. There tap on Settings
4. Tap on Manage accounts
5. Tap on your e-mail account
6. Scroll to the bottom and tap on MORE SETTINGS
7. You will now see the Auto download attachments option as well as whether to download them only when connected to the WiFi network

Let me know if you found those options.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

I have done that and there is not a Manage Accounts section. It only shows my account

You can ignore the 4th step of the instructions in case you only have one e-mail account added to the Mail app.

So, continue from the 5th step.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

I had already tried that and there is item 7 option anywhere

Please list all the options you see when you tap on MORE SETTINGS.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

Account name

Your Name

Always cc/bcc myself

Show images

Recant messages

Security options

in/out server settings

That's strange. Please exit the Mail app and go to Settings. Under the System, tap on About device (or About phone). Let me know what it says for Model number and Android version.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

There is no System but the is a Device, but there is not a section About Device and it does not show the android version anywhere. The model is SM-T800 I purchased it Dec 2014

I will need to know the Android version running on your tablet.

Since you can't find that information in the Settings, please tap on the web browser on your tablet and visit this web page:

www.supportdetails.com

Once the page opens, it will show you some information about the tablet. Let me know what it says for Operating System.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

Linux Android 5.0.2

The Mail app on Android 5.0.2 doesn't come with the "Auto download attachments" option, but you need to disable all e-mail and data limitations which will work for the attachments as well.

Here is what to do:

1. Open the Mail app
3. There tap on Settings
4. Tap on your e-mail account
5. Tap on Syn settings - there disable any kind of limitation you see (select to display all e-mails and attachments, or increase its size to maximum)

After that, go to general tablet Settings and tap on Data usage. Tap on the menu icon located in the upper right corner and make sure the "Auto sync data" check-box is checked.

That should automatically download e-mails and attachments now.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay I had dinner.

The menu icon is the same as before 3 dots. When you tap this the only message option you get is Mobile Hotpots and nothing else

Were you able to find the Sync settings option as described on the 5th step?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

Yes I did and the only thing I could not un tick was the default email which must be set

OK, please restart your tablet and then go to the Mail app. Check if you can now open the attachments.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. I have done that and still can not open them.

I will be retiring soon, so can we close this down as unsuccessful, or do you want to continue tomorrow?

May I know what happens now when you tap on the Preview or the Save button located in the Attachment tab?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

It still says You must download the message to open the attachment. The message part is downloaded.

Please try this:

Open the e-mail that you cannot download the attachment for. Scroll from the top of the e-mail to the bottom. A little window should appear to download the entire e-mail, so click it. If you cannot see it, swipe again, but from from the bottom to the top.

Once you have clicked on the little window, you should see a circular ring, meaning the e-mail and the attachment is being downloaded. Once that is done, tap on the attachment and you will be able to Preview it or Save it.

Let me know the results.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

Well done my friend we have lift off, I have opened the first attachment at last.

That's great!

It means that only the part of the e-mail downloaded (text without the attachments). Probably, the attachment is quite large, so you needed to do that manually in order to download it.

For e-mails with smaller attachments, you shouldn't need to do that manually.