Randy Computer Tech
Randy Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer specialist
62741268

Why won't my kindle fire connect to my internet connection.

Customer Question

Why won't my kindle fire connect to my internet connection. I am with BT and I have a wi fi connection
Category: Computer
Expert:  Randy Computer Tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is***** will assist you. I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue. Does the BT wifi network name appear in the list of available network connections on the kindlle?* To connect to Wi-Fi follow these steps:* Tap the Quick Settings icon* Select Wi-Fi.* Ensure Wireless Networking switch is in the on position.* Your home network should appear in the list.* Tap the name of your network. A lock symbol will appear next to your network if it requires a password. The wifi password ***** ***** the label of your BT modem.* Enter the characters of the password ***** the onscreen keyboard.* Be sure to enter the letters and numbers exactly as on the label. Caps and non caps.* Then Tap Connect.* In the future your Kindle Fire will automatically connect to the network that was most recently used.If you have a differnet kindle follow these steps please>First press the Menu button on the keypad Scroll down and select Settings Scroll down to "Wi-Fi Settings" and select view If asked to "Turn Wireless On?", select OK Look for the name of your BT Home Hub in any list of available networks. Your Hub's network name (SSID) is on a label on the Hub. Don't connect to "BT Wi-Fi" or "BT Wi-Fi FON" when you're at home. This is BT Wi-Fi's network for when you're out and about. Once you've found your Hub, select connect Enter your Hub's wireless key (also found on the label on the Hub) and select submit You'll see the "Wi-Fi" icon in the top right-hand corner whenever you're connected wirelessly * . . Was this step helpful? Please reply if you need more help. . . . . . Please let me know if this does not work for you or if you need any other assistance. . . . After we have your issue resolved please take a moment to rate my service positively. Thank you very much!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have done all the things you said to do. It just keeps on telling me 'not in range' and authentication failed. Do you think it might be the Kindle that's not working properly as my internet is ok. I have tried alsorts of things but it is now driving me nuts and I cannot be bothered with it anymore

okay, this may be a hardware issue. We will need to determine if this is hardware or firmware related. This may be caused by a glitch in the firmware and can be resolved by a forced reboot, then your kindle will work normally again. Please try this on your Kindle>press and hold the power button for 20 seconds and then release. After the device has completely turned off, press the power button to restart your Kindle> then try the wifi again please.