Josh
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

My Widows 7 PC loses files. When an attempt is made to copy

Customer Question

My Widows 7 PC loses files.
When an attempt is made to copy or move file from folder named books, there is a message saying that the file can't be found at j:/books but if one right clicks on j:/books then Properties there is an answer saying that there are 302 files taking up 246Mb. One part of Windows 7 can find the file but they are invisible for copying or moving. By the way, these are ebooks I want to keep.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Hi! How are you trying to copy/paste? Do you go to the J:\books folder and copy the file by right clicking and selecting copy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I normally highlight the file/files I wish to copy or move and then use ctrl-c or ctrl-x for copying or moving. sometimes these keys don't work and I have to use the menus for copy, cut and paste. (I never had this sort of problem with XP.)

I have had other problems with ghost files/drives. I also get odd messages like Jane B Burka - Procrastination is not present on drive x where x is the drive I am trying to copy the file to - not from!

I have a drive called Backup. It shows as drive G:. It is a 610Gb drive with 607Gb free. Every time I try to copy stuff to this drive, one or two files copy then copying stops. The apparently copied files can't be copied - they are ghosts.

Should I go back to XP or switch to Linux Mint?

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Before switching back to XP, try this.. Click on Start and type CMD into the search box. Right click on COMMAND PROMPT and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR In the black box type: sfc /scannow (there is a space between sfc /scannow) then press enter Let the scan run then restart your computer and try again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have just lost a regular download folder on J: called J:/Books/rar&zip.

The message I get when I try to download a file to this folder is 'File not found' It should be (if it applies) 'Folder not found.' It has been my regular download folder for Rar and Zip books for some months. Windows 7 has lost it somehow.

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Did you run the scan?