Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

Kindle 3. only bottom half of page working. happened suddenly

kindle 3. only bottom half of page working. happened suddenly with no prior warning
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. How old is it? Does this happen on everything you try to open?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not sure . 4 years perhaps.yes on everything I try to open

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Did you happen to get an extended warranty with it? If you turn it off is the bottom half staying with an image or turning off as well?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no . no extended warranty. when I turn it off the the bottom half image is going off as well.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Try this then and let me know what happens.

Even if it does not look like it is charging and even though it may be fully charged charge it using a different wall outlet than you normally do (a different room is best) for at least 10 minutes.

Do not skip that even if it is fully charged from you already plugging it in, it is important to do it.

It sounds like the firmware may be frozen try this and let me know the results hold the power switch for at least 60 seconds.

Try this at least 6 times.

The firmware can sometimes get frozen the same way that a computer will occasionally.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

followed your advice but still the same . However a time bar comes on now and also it won't switch off. Only goes to sleep and slide to wake.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I was afraid you were going to say that which would mean the screen is failing and needs to be replaced. You can get a new screen from here: Click Here This video shows how to replace it: Click Here The piece being used to open the plastic is called a spudger if you do not have anything that will work any hardware store should carry them. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Kindle.
.