Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

When I switch off my tv the humax loses all the programs that

When I switch off my tv the humax loses all the programs that have been selected for recording even if I leave the humax box switched on. It also keeps changing the screen ratio from 16:9 to 4:3. This has been happening for the last 2 weeks. My son is also experiencing the same issue with recording (he lives about 8 miles from me).
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
As the first step, can you remove the power to the humax and wait 10 minutes.
Then connect the power to the humax, power it on and tell me please if it still has the problem.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did as you advised. Problems are still there.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me please which model Humax you have Yvonne?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

PVR-9300T

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I want to rule out the firmware as being the cause for this issue, by doing a factory reset.
To do this, please do the following steps
Power OFF the receiver (on / off button at the back of the Humax)
Disconnect the Aerial cable (Just the Arial cable)
Power On the receiver (with the Arial still disconnected)
Press MENU
Select Installation
Enter your password (default = 0000)
Select Default Setting
Select YES
Enter your password (Default = 0000)
When the receiver restarts, power off (turn the power off before automatic search)
Connect the Aerial Cable
Power ON - the receiver will then search for the channels.
Once channel search is finished a ‘Save’ option will become available,
Please note that once step 13 is finished and you save the results, please leave it on BBC1 for ten minutes and the guide will be fully populated.
Please note also that performing a default setting may change the screen ratio to 4:3 if this happens please try the following,
1. Menu,
2. Preferences,
3. AV control,
4. Press ok on screen ratio to change from 4:3 to 16:9 then press exit,
Then test and tell me if you still have the problem please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have done as suggested and problem seems to be resolved, but can I keep this open until the humax has been switched off overnight. I will let you know tomorrow if we have success. Thanks for your help so far.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I have marked this question to never close Yvonne, so at any time if the problem returns, you can just let me know here, this is no problem at all, even after tomorrow.
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Richard

Sorry problem still exists.

I scheduled some programmes to test yesterday pm - 4.00, 5.15, 7.30 and 8.30. The humax was switched off approx 4.50pm and switched back on approx 7.15pm. The first 2 programmes had recorded and the second 2 had lost the icon to record. The screen ratio had also reverted to 4:3 so it seems that something happens when the box has been switched off for more than a couple of hours.

Also set up some more last night and left box switched on and switched off tv, these were also gone this morning.

Back to you for more suggestions please.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Yvonne
It is the internal memory that has faulted.
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by reinstalingl it.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the humax to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for trying to help. I don't think the warranty is still valid as we have had the box for about 4 years.

Do I still have to pay as my problem cannot be fixed??

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Its for my service you paid Yvonne, we cannot always fix everything here, but go through and eliminate all causes and if this does not resolve it, then confirm the problem which is what we did.
This is what you paid for, what I am compensated for and what you received.