Jason Jones
Jason Jones, Computer Expert
Experience:  Over 10 years of professional experience.
30759776

I have got a Dell Latitude D410 and i am having a problem

Customer Question

Hi i have got a Dell Latitude D410 and i am having a problem as to getting it to boot from a USB cd drive i have tried every option in the bios boot section and it does nothing the cd drive lights up for a second and the disk spins also for a second
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 2 years ago.

If anyone wishes to ask Jason a question directly,
they can do so at the following page: www.JasonFixedit.com

I am an Information Technology Professional with over 15 years of professional experience. I am the technician assigned to your case today. I look forward to working with you and resolving this problem.
It sounds like it attempts to boot from the cd upon startup. When the computer is turned on, it will read from the CD drive to see if there is a CD in the drive that has a bootable disk. If it either finds no cd or finds a cd that is not 'bootable', it will stop reading from the cd drive and continue.
I'm thinking that maybe the CD itself is not bootable. If you put the cd in another computer, are you able to boot from it? What type of CD are you trying to boot from? (did you burn it yourself or purchase it).
I will be standing by.
Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi yes the cd is bookable as it is an official Microsoft windows 7 disk

Thank you for the update. Have you tested the cd in a different computer to verify it is not faulting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the cd its self is 100%

Hello David,
I am not quite sure I am getting the answer I need.
Right now the problem is with the cd or with the computer. I am asking you if you have put the cd in another computer and tested it to make sure the problem is not with the cd.
I have booted from a cd a few hundred thousand times. More often than not, when it doesn't boot, that means the cd is damaged.
When you put the cd in another computer and attempt to boot from it, does it boot from the CD? (True or False)
Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i have tried the cd in another computer and it boots ok (true)

Awesome. Thank you for the update.
Let's try a manual boot choice.
As soon as you turn the laptop on, start tapping the F12 key on the top of the keyboard. When you are given a boot menu, choose the 'USB' device and press enter. Did that get you working?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok ill do it now and let you know in a bit

Thank you, David.
I will be here waiting for your response.
-Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi i tried pressing F12 and all i got was these options

Internal HDD

CARDBUS NIC

ONBOARD NIC

BIOS SETUP

DIAGNOSTICS

I went to Bios setup and selected Boot Sequence and i got these options

DISKETTE DRIVE

INTERNAL HDD

USB STORAGE DEVICE

CD/DVD/CD-RW DRIVE

CARDBUS NIC

D/DOCK PCI SLOT NIC

ONBOARD NIC

i have tried booting from

USB STORAGE DEVICE

CD/DVD/CD-RW DRIVE

those options did not work

You may need to use the usb option. You can in effect, copy the files and the 'bootable' MBR to a usb drive and then boot from that.
All you will need is a spare usb flash drive that you can use. Keep in mind that when you do this, it will erase everything on the usb drive.
- Click the following link: [url]http://wudt.codeplex.com/[url]
- Click the Download button on that page.
- Download and run that file.
- Follow the instructions that the application gives you.
- When it is complete, you can use the usb flash drive on the other computer and choose to boot from the "USB Storage Device".
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is there a way to make a bootable iso file go on to a usb stick

You can use my instructions to create the usb stick. It will use the data on the working CD.
Yes, you can choose to use the ISO file instead, if you wish to do that for some reason.
Here is that page again: http://wudt.codeplex.com/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i have an iso file but when i use it with that program it says its not a valid iso file

Okay. Please, do not use the ISO file. Use the working CD that you have. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i am confused

Thank you for the update.
May I start a remote screen sharing session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem?
When the remote begins, a chat window will appear that we can use to communicate with each other.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes please

but there is another problem ill explain once you have connected

Please, click the following link and choose to run the remote application: http://74.208.221.55/?Session=acbd8228-4e2a-4bac-9159-75655034a40a&Theme=Embedded
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

done

It turns out that you were trying to burn a Windows' Password ***** application to a usb.
I have followed the procedure below to recover the Windows password ***** few hundred times with no problems. The process is quite simple: You create the cd on a working computer, put the cd in the problem computer, and follow the rest of the instructions below.
Please, follow the instructions below to reset your computer's password:
- Click the following link: http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/download.php?type=livecd
- If you are using Windows XP, click the Windows XP download link and save that file.
- If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, click the Windows Vista download link and save that file.
- Burn that ISO file to a CD. You can use the application found here if you do not have a CD burner: http://cdburnerxp.se/en/home
- Place the CD in the problem computer, turn it off, turn it on, press the shortcut key responsible for the boot menu ( F12, ESC, F10 ), choose the CD-ROM, and boot.
- Choose Automatic and press Enter
- Sit back and allow the program to locate the passwords for you. It may take up to 10 minutes.
Reboot normally.
If you need anything else in the future, please let me know.
Thank you for your time today.
- Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

end connection please

What are you talking about? The connection has been closed.
I look forward to your rating of my help on this page.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my end it says connection status connected

I ended it. You can right click it again and choose exit.
You are not connected.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you any way i coped it again to a cd NOT a dvd

Please, do not forget to rate my help on this page. I am not given any credit for my time until you do.
-Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i tried it on just a blank cd and it still made no difference all i get is no boot device found

Please, click the following link and choose to run the remote application: http://74.208.221.55/?Session=6f2bbd2a-452c-47b1-823d-9e2308a4c203&Theme=Embedded
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

why

I wanted to make sure the cd was burned correctly. You stated you didn't have any cds. Now you say you do and it didn't work. I am just trying to get you up and running.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok can i do it tomorrow as got to go out

ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi i managed to get it to read the cd but now i selected automatic and now i have a program come up called OPHCRACK what do i do?

After you choose Automatic and press enter, wait until the program comes up. It should do it automatically. If it doesn't choose to start it. After a while, it will display the password.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi i have the computer fully working apart from the network card drivers i cant seem to get them to work as in device manager there is a yellow triangle over both items listed under networking i have tried dell them self but i cant find anything there that work s

Thank you for the update.
You can request to work with me for the new wireless password ***** if you wish at the following page: http://www.JasonFixedit.com
Be sure to preface the new question with, "ONLY for ***** *****".
Jason