Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

My hp laptop cannot start up, it says hard disk does not e

My hp laptop cannot start up, it says hard disk does not exist
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem. I am sorry to hear that you are facing problem with your computer. Turn the power off and wait for a minuite power it back on and tap on the F2 key to get into the bios you might have a different key as well with this model so you can just see at the bottom of you screen it says press F2 or F10 to run setup than means to ge into the bios. Once you are in the bios you will be able to make out on the main screen the hard drive is listed in there or not let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
F2 says start-up test and there is no f10 but i didnt see and hard disk info when i pressed the f2 key
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
let me know the model number of the hp laptop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Serial number-5CH1311XAD
Product number-LE936EA#AEU
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
This is HP Pavilion dm1-3101ea
Power on then computer press F1 or F10 to Enter Setup at the red Compaq logo or blue HP logo.
you will see F1 or F10 or Del right on the hp Screen as you initially see the display.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
F1 gives me system information and there is no option for f10 so nothing happens when i press it
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
There are at least three different ways to access the BIOS setup menus depending on the type of CPU, the BIOS, and when the notebook was built. For most models, after you press the power button to turn On the computer, a prompt displays to specify what key to press to enter BIOS or Windows or diagnostic functions. For newer computers, it will be the F10 key or the Esc key, however, on very old computers, you may be prompted to press the Delete key to enter a Setup function. If you do not press the suggested key at the proper time and the computer continues though the boot process, you will need to shutdown the computer and try the boot process again.
Pre-UEFI, before 2008 for most models.
With the computer turned Off, press the power button to turn On the computer, and repeatedly press the F10 key. Normally, the Compaq or HP splash screen will display a message to press F10 to enter the BIOS just before the BIOS menu is displayed.
UEFI Enabled, 2008 to mid 2011 for most models.
If the computer has the UEFI pre-BIOS environment, when the Compaq or HP splash screen displays, you are prompted to press Escape to enter Start Up Menu. Then there is a prompt to press F10 to enter the BIOS Setup.
Because of the different types of CPUs and BIOS configurations, it may be possible to turn On the power and press F10 for the BIOS without going through the UEFI Start Up Menu.
Shortened Startup without splash screen, mid-2011 or later for most models.
To help computers start faster, on some models the Compaq or HP splash screen is not displayed during the start up process. In this case, after pressing the power button, repeatedly press the Esc key to enter the Start Up Menu, and follow the prompt to press F10 to enter the BIOS Setup.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
if all the combinations tried are not working then there is a sure shot way to check if the hard drive is seen by the bios or not we will try a one time boot menu.
Follow the steps to get into one time boot menu.
Power off the computer wait for 30 second
Power it on and keep tapping the F12 key few times
you will see a black screen with options to boot
hard drive
usb storage device
cd/dvd
use the arrow key to select the hard drive and hit enter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to access the setup by repeateadly pressing the f10 key so what do i do next? I see the hard disk option but i cannot use the arrow keys to access it
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
if you are in the bios then press F9 which will set the bios to defaults.
on the top read and let me know the bios vesion i will walk you through to the hard disk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
InsydeH20 setup Utility Rev. 3.5
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Press the F9 key that will set the bios to default setting then you use the right arrow key to go to diagnostic check if the hard drive is listed in there or not if not then the drive may have crashed or if you have recently opened the hard drive is not inserted back to the hdd port correctly due to loose contact it may not detect in that case power off the computer and then remove the hard drive and reseat it back.
Press F10 to save changes after hitting F9 and it will exit from the bios screen.
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Primary hard disk self test and
Memory test
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
select primary hard disk and run the test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok i dont see anything suggesting that the test is running so im not sure if it is running or not
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
under the diagnostics you selected hard drive self test and hit enter you must have got a choice to run the test did you do that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did i got a prompt (hard disk 1 quick) and i selected ok
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
thats good let me know the outcome result.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing on the page suggesting that the test is actually running so im not sure it is
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Press esc and then press F9 and then F10 save changes and exit select yes.
let the computer boot and let me know how it goes.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

a

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its still says boot device not found when i re boot it
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
one last option to try and the i will be in a position to tell you what the problem is.
Shut down the computer wait for 30 seconds, turn it back on and keep tapping the F12 key repeatedly for 3 to 4 times you must get a one time boot menu with
hard drive
usb storage device
cd/dvd
use the down arrow to select hard drive and it will be highlighted then you hit enter key.
let me know what you get after that
Please note you must select hard drive and no other option before you hit enter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pressing the f12 key repeatedly takes me back to the page that says boot device not found, please install an operating sustem on your hard disk
Hard disk (3F0)
F2 system diagnostics.
That is pretty much all the information on the page and i cannot use the arrow key to select anything on there
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
3F0 can be caused by 3 things
1. Bad hard drive or partition structure, erase the entire hard drive then use HP recovery discs to attempt reinstall of the OS and all partitions.
2. Bad hard drive data cable that connects it to the motherboard, replace the cable
3. Bad sata controller on the motherboard replaces the motherboard or laptop.
test the Hard Drive out in the BIOS if you can get into it.
You will need to boot up the notebook and press F10. If you can get into the BIOS you will need to run the self-test. Here is a document showing you how to run the test. If you can't get into the BIOS I would suggest removing the HDD and then try getting into the BIOS again. Once you remove the HDD boot the notebook up again and press F10. If you can get into the BIOS, then the HDD is bad.
Another step you can take is removing the HDD and testing it out in a different notebook. If you receive the same error message on a different notebook then we will know the culprit is the HDD.
Now, if the HDD comes back OK, repairing the notebook.
In most notebooks the Hard Drive data cable and the SATA cables are usually built in cables that cannot be replaced unless you replace the entire notebook.
Ref: HP
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you very much, i think i need to replace it