Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have lost half the screen on my kindle model no d01100

i have lost half the screen on my kindle model no d01100
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
This is usually an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.
Remove the charger from the Kindle and hold the power button to off for 35 seconds.
Release, then connect the charger and try to turn on the Kindle.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i have still only half a screen

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, please do not shoot the messenger, but the LCD controller in the Kindle has failed.
There are only two causes for this and we have just rule out the first confirming the controller as the issue.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the Kindle to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
Your books are safe and are automatically transferred to the replacement Kindle. You can also read your books still on other devices, just tell me which device (eg: computer) you wish to read your books on while you organise a replacement Kindle and I can tell you how
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the warranty has run out . what is the cost to repair it? .Thank you

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It cannot be repaired sorry, they only replace the entire Kindle when under warranty as the cost and deliver and installation of a mainboard, exceeds the value of a replacement Kindle.
On these devices, only a cracked screen is worth replacing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If i purchase a new kindle from Amazon can the books be transferred?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, this is automatic and you do not need to do anything special.
When you purchase the Kindle, you turn it on for the first time and it will take you through the setup process. As the books are all linked to your Amazon account, once you have setup the Kindle, the books from your old Kindle will be available on this new one.
I have though marked this question to never close once you have rated me, so if you have any problems whatsoever, please do not hesitate to let me know and I'll help you through this. There is no time limit on this.