Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I am unable to configure Windows updates. I have just upgraded

Customer Question

I am unable to configure Windows updates. I have just upgraded to Windows 8 Pro at a cost of nearly £100 and that will not load. Any ideas?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.
let me know the current status of the upgrade.
you tried to upgrade to windows 8 from windows 7 or from windows 8.0 to 8.1 64 bit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am unable to configure any Windows updates. I also tried to upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows Pro, again, my am given the message "unable to configure..." The upgrade did not work.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
let me know if you get any error or message while you try to upgrade to pro.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The download installs, the computer shuts down and on restart I get a screen saying "unable to configure, undoing changes"

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
no problem let it come to the screen undoing changes and when you are back to windows 8.1 restart the computer one more time.
before running the upgrade again make sure the firewall and antivirus is diasbled and then try the upgrade.
There is an optional Remote Connect Service - Quick Resolution
If you Would like me to remote connect to your computer and fix the issue - The remote service will be an additional service which will allow me directly work on the
problem and can be fixed quickly, you can sit back and watch your screen while i fix it for you. Let me know if you need the additional service or else we can continue
with the service you have already opted for.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried all of the above. No joy.1. Will not configure Windows Updates.2. Will not configure Windows Pro.Just keep getting the message " unable to configure updates/upgrades undoing changes do not turn off your computer".
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
this will continue in a loop as it seems the files got corrupted during the upgrade
please shutdown the computer by keeping the ON button pressed for 10 secs
restart it and tap the f8 key
if you reach the advanced menu, select safe mode and press enter
let me know if you reach safe mode desktop or not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No go. Can we try remote access?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Check your email i have send you the live remote help offer.
check and let me know i will send you a link to live remote connect.
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
open this link on the computer which is unable to run upgrade.
http://bit.ly/1JHguAH
this is a remote connect link.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This from my iPad are you sill connected to my PC?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
internet got disconnected i am back online
give me some time i am working on the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No good. Still u/s.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
this is a problem with existing windows operating system, we will try running the updates manually and if that does not install the updates then you would need to backup all you data and then reinstall windows 8.1 or you can install windows 8.1 pro directly.
Backup all you data on an external drive and let me know.
This will take time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All data backed up. I do not have a windows disk as it came pre installed.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
welcome, may i know the make and model number of the comptuer which we need to install windows a fresh copy. if windows was preinsalled then it must have the factory installed partition and if the partitioned is not damages then we can intiate the installation without the disk and if the partition is bad or not present then you would need a disk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
What is the make and model number of the computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Packard Bell.imedia S 1300
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
shut down the pc and wait for 30 seconds.
Power on and immediately hold down the ALT key, and tap the F10 key.
This should load into the recovery console.
From there, running a full recovery is self explanatory.
I would recommend running the full destructive recovery which is usually the top option out of the two.