Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

I recently installed a Samsung 850 evo.All was well

I recently installed a Samsung 850 evo.All was well for about a week, but now the computer randomly freezes up completely. Nothing can be done other than power down and restart. Any ideas? Is this as common a problem as Google claims it is?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. Is it happening after extended periods of use or anything like that?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Freddy. No it happens totally randomly. Could be immediately on startup, During gaming,browsing word document. At any time. 3 times so far today. Once after 10 minutes once after 1 hr and again after 20 minutes.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Does the bottom of it feel hot when this happens? Have you checked event viewer to see if there are any critical errors at the times it happens? If you are not suire we would have to note the next time this happens and then check.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No heat issues. I haven't checked event viewer.(how do I do that?)

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Next time it happens make a note of the time it shows on the clock.
Then when you restart click on start and in the search type event viewer.
In the window that opens expand critical errors, look for one around the time this happened.
Let me know what error it shows, if there are multiple around that time please give me as many as you can.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Lots of critical Kernel-power. event id 41 around the time it happens. Sorry I'm not very computer savvy.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
That is why I mentioned waiting until it happens again, otherwise there will be 100's most likely.You can take all the time you need. You can get back to me any time by going to justanswer.co.uk and clicking on my questions at the top.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. Thanks. Will get back to you when it happens again.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You're welcome.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. It just happened again. Under critical: Kernel-power event 41. on restart I got a pop up box saying driver support had stopped working too?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Click on the error and send me everything in the details pane.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

-Provider

[ Name]Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

[ Guid]{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID41

Version2

Level1

Task63

Opcode0

Keywords0x8000000000000002

-TimeCreated

[ SystemTime]2015-08-01T10:28:10.122402800Z

EventRecordID19542

Correlation

-Execution

[ ProcessID]4

[ ThreadID]8

ChannelSystem

ComputerGreg-PC

-Security

[ UserID]S-1-5-18

-EventData

BugcheckCode0

BugcheckParameter10x0

BugcheckParameter20x0

BugcheckParameter30x0

BugcheckParameter40x0

SleepInProgressfalse

PowerButtonTimestamp0

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
That is a general error which can be caused by overheating, power issues, but the most common cause is a bad ram module. Do you know hwo to remove them? Do you have more than one installed?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have 2x 4gb Kingston. I can remove and reseat again, although I have already tried that. When you say overheating, is it the processor you mean?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Remove and insert only one Ram stick. Then test. Do this 1 stick at a time 1 slot at a time to rule out the slot as well. As for overheating yes that would be the processor.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. As I have 4 slots, does it matter which ones I insert the ram into?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
No it doesn't but you want to test one at a time because one of the slots could be what is bad.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. i'll try that now

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just changed 1 Ram module to a different slot. I then ran the windows experience index which usually froze every time i tried updating it and it ran fine this time .Also cleaned the processor fan. So far so good. Hopefully that may have been the solution, but it freezes so randomly that only time will tell. Do you think I can rule out a defective hard drive?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Yes the hard drive sounds unlikely from what you told me. From what you said I believe it is either one of the ram sticks or one of the slots. If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks a lot. I'll get back to you if the problem returns.Laughing

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You're welcome and hopefully it does not.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Freddy

Just to let you know, the problem returned soon after we thought we fixed it. However, just on a hunch, i uninstalled my antivirus program. It's been six days and no freezes.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
It is possible your AV had a memory leak then or it was a combination of both.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I hate computers! LOL

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
I completely understand.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just re-installed Mcafee and the computer froze within five minutes. That pretty much confirms where the problem lies.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Try using Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast instead both are free and both are better than McAfee. Both McAfee and Norton act like a virus in order to protect you which is not what I would recommend.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Thanks again. Downloading now.