Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

We have a samsung 770Z purchased sept 2013. reason

Customer Question

We have a samsung 770Z purchased sept 2013.
For nor reason at all yesterday when I switched it on it came up with a blue screen:
Recovery
Your PC needs to be repaired
Boot configuration is missing required information.
File:\BCD
Error code: 0xc000000d
It says I need to refer to the recovery tools on my installation guide. I do not what the installation guide is.... I don't think I have a disc or a USB device.
It also says I can press ESC for UEFI Firmware Settings - I have done this and it gives me the Samsung BIOS Configuration but I have no idea what to do in that menu...
The laptop shuts itself off after about a minute if I don't press ESC.
Can you help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
did you run any windows 8.1 update recently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I think there was an automatic Windows update which ran earlier this week.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you need more information from me about this problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still looking at my issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michelle?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
my apology for the delay. lets continue, are you available now.
Let me know if you see Recovery screen which has "see advance repair option"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No all I have is the blue screen with the error message or if I press ESC I have the samsung BIOS configuration. One of the options is "advanced" but it is not a repair option, it is more about advanced set up with things like CPU power saving mode, hyper threading, fast BIOS mode, battery life cycle extension etc.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
It looks like you are in the bios screen press F9 and then press F10 select yes to exit and let it try to boot up and let me know which screen comes up to a halt.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just did what you suggested & the screen which comes up is the same blue Recovery screen "your PC needs to be repaired" etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot access advanced start up options - is this because my laptop only has a traditional BIOS? I think we need UEFI (which I think I do have) & the laptop needs to be configured correctly to boot directly to the ASO menu. Perhaps the laptop is not configured correctly?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
please restart the computer and tap the f8 key
let me know if you get windows advanced menu
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The f8 key is doing nothing. The blue error screen comes up, I press f8 & nothing changes.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
please let me know that is your data backed up on the computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did a back up of all the personal data on to an external drive a few days ago. So yes the data I need & want to keep is backed up.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
try the below
Press and hold on Esc key, and then start Samsung laptop
Note: Please don’t loosen your hand on Esc key until the Samsung laptop starts with restore system.
Find Samsung Recovery Solution program, and run it. Or Enter Menu window.
Press F11 to restore Samsung factory setting.
let me know if it loads the recovery program or not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I tried that & the laptop went to the blue error screen briefly then on to the Samsung BIOS Configuration menu (same as before). The laptop does not start with the restore system or Samsung Recovery Solution program & even if I keep holding down the ESC button, once the Samsung BIOS Configuration menu screen comes up, it stays there.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
please confirm do you have windows xp, windows 7 or 8 on the computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We started with windows XP in sept 2013 but have had a number of automatic updates since then so I think we now have windows 8.1.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
do you have any disc for windows 8.1 or any recovery discs you created
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I cannot find any - that is the problem! I'm not sure I can fix the problem without the disks?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
as the computer is stuck at the bios and seems to run in a loop, the only way out of the loop would to be initiate a windows reinstall from windows disc
since the pc originally came with windows xp, recovery disc if any will not help as they will load the windows xp image and since you have upgraded windows will not help much
i would suggest to get a windows8 operating system disc first as without that the computer will continue to run in the same loop
once you have the disc, you need to boot from the disc and initiate a repair\install depending on the option you get
let me know if you have any questions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for your help. I will see if I can get a disk tomorrow.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
sure...do feel free to ask if you face any difficulty or have any questions
you can also open the below link by typing it in the address bar of your browser's window
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/win8/installs/install_reinstall/index.htm
it has all the steps with screenshots for windows 8 reinstall process for your reference
If I have adequately answered your question, I would appreciate it if you would please click on a smiley face below or stars above to complete the rating for my service
thanks for choosing just answer