Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have \ Samsung 350V5 laptop. The power icon says 66Percent

Customer Question

I have \ Samsung 350V5 laptop. The power icon says 66Percent battery power available not charging. Why is it not charging? Also what is the blinking orange light status symbol for. Should it be blinking even after I have shut down?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Once a month the laptop will stop charging in order to run the battery flat. They do this as batteries need to be run flat periodically in order to keep them maintained and this is the most likely reason (or a faulty battery though this is rare).
Let the battery run flat to 5% and then check if it is again charging as it should then allow this.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Richard. Will do this tomorrow and let you know what happens. Can you tell me what the function of the orange status light.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
That the power is connected but the battery is not full.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
your welcome
I have marked this question to never close, so If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I ran the battery down as you suggested. It reached 6 per cent and then the computer turned off. I have plugged it in to the mains supply again but the battery is still refusing to charge. Do you think I need a new battery?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, so to confirm, it will now not run without the mains connected correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Correct
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
How old is the Laptop?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
December 2012. I very rarely use it except when plugged in to the mains.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, I want you to attempt a battery calibration
Can you follow the instructions here and tell me the results after doing this please
http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?modelname=NP350V5C&from_osc=&idx=413757&
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Cannot do this. The computer will not start with the AC adapter disconnected!
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, the problem is its either the battery or the motherboard thats at fault.
this we will only know once the battery has been replaced.
For this Laptop, replacing the motherboard is not economically feasible as it would cost about the same if not more then a replacement Laptop, but the battery costs 18 pounds and you can get here
http://www.laptop-battery.org.uk/laptop-batteries.php/samsung/350v5c/100113/1001369/165306
If you only really use it on a cable though I would advise to save the money and avoid a battery as you do not really use it.
If you do go for the battery though and still have the problem, then you will know the motherboard is whats at fault and this I would advise you to replace and either use it as it is or purchase a replacement laptop.