Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a Toshiba Qosmio X70-A laptop with windows 8.1 I

Hi I have a Toshiba Qosmio X70-A laptop with windows 8.1 I upgraded to windows 10 I liked it so I did a clean install, then I found I had lost some Toshiba tools, so I thought I would go back to factory settings I could not do that. So I got a USB media from Toshiba to reset my laptop installed as per the instructions but it did not wipe everything off it left files that I had installed on the hard drive. So I re-installed and set it to wipe out all partitions and recreate the partitions but again it did not wipe everything off, all the files I had added did get wiped off but when I opened Internet Explorer the last set of tabs that I had opened where still there, it was supposed to wipe everything so that I could pass it on to some one else but I cannot do that if it shows some places I have been on the internet, the other problem that I have is that I can not download any apps that I have purchased I get an error code 0x80073cf3
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Do the wipe this way as this is the method to get rid of all of your content and return the computer to new.
On the log in screen, dont log in but hold down the SHIFT button and with it held down, click the power icon and choose restart. Keep SHIFT held until it has restarted into a menu. Choose Troubleshoot, then Reset my PC. This returns the PC to new, so you can set it up again.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have already done this and getting the same results.

Internet Explorer as it was before doing the reset and not able to install my Apps

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, strange as the reset does just that, resets the computer.
If you do the following in internet explorer, does this clear it Mary
Click Tools (the gear wheel top right) than Internet Options
Click on the General Tab and Delete all Temporary Internet Files.
Than click the Advance Tab and click Reset
Let me know please.
I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.
Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.
I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.
Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.
If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will try your suggestion for IE and come back to you.

This is the first time I have ever had a problem like this as i have built my own desktop computers before this is my first laptop and I have done a reset before and it has worked fine this has only happened since I put windows 10 on

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Mary
Your image may have been damaged on the computer during the upgrade.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That is what I thought so I bought a USB with all the files on it from Toshiba for my laptop. I installed it as per instructions and that is when I realised that I had a problem, so I then booted from the USB and instead of doing a recovery I did a clean wipe of all drives which also deleted all partitions and then installed the right partitions including the recovery partition and installed windows 8.1 but it is not doing so as an out of box laptop

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, then without a windows 8 or 7 disk you wont be able to get it to do a clean wipe. Its also going to be why you cannot install programs.
You will need to use a disk or Disk image in order to get a clean wipe.
Or just manually reset IE as per the instructions I gave which will wipe everything, except then you just need to delete your favorites (right click on them and delete).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have managed to sort it out I did what you said regarding IE then did a re-install from my USB image. That sorted the install out the problem with installing the Apps, I did all the windows updates after each update I checked to see if there any more and did them untill there were no more updates.

I then tried installing my Apps and they all installed perfectly.

So thank you for your help

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Excellent Mary and your most welcome
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.