Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I got windows 10 and it was fine then the screen resolution

I got windows 10 and it was fine then the screen resolution was wrong I tried to change it a couple of time, then a message came up with:- "the current input timing is not supported by the monitor display.... but the screen is now frozen so I can't change anything. Please help.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
First, are you able to power off the computer and if so, what now happens when you power it on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

please wait

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

rebooting and then all the steps after pressing f10 or was it f9.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I need to know John, what exactly happens please when you now start the computer?
" all the steps after pressing f10 or was it f9." Is not telling me this, it is just telling me your pressing one of these keys.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

a blue windows logo appears then the screen freezes

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks John
Can you power off the computer.
Then hold the LEFT SHIFT button and with it held down, power on the computer and keep tapping F8 until you get to a menu (still with SHIFT held down).
Tell me please if you can get to a menu this way.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It just starts again and the screen freezes?
If so, what is the make and model of the computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry for the delay. the make is HP i'm afraid I don't know the model it is a Compaq desktop

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No problem
Power off the computer
then power it on and keep tapping F11 until you get to the recovery menu.
Tell me if you can get to the recovery menu please John.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, we have to attempt to perform a recovery of the operating system John.
It is not clear if you can save your own files during this as we do not know the model.
If you have files on it you wish to save, you will best take the computer into a store and have them remove the hard drive and copy off your files first before doing this.
If you do not have files you wish to keep, or if during this (and before actually finalising and starting the restore) you see the option to save your files, then perform a factory restore which is going to reinstall windows onto the computer to get it working again.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

something is happening I pressed system recovery it ask me to back up my files which it is doing. Do you want me to stay connected to you as it could take some time.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It should now be ok once you have completed the restore, as windows will be newly installed again.
But I have marked this question to never close, so if you do have any issues at all, you can just return here and let me know. This is no problem and you can do this at any time. So if you wish, you can rate my service via either the stars at the top or one of the smiley faces and close off, and just return if you have any issues at all.
Up to you of course John.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It has asked me how I want to save my files would a dvd be ok

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
If you have a blank DVD available then yes thats ok