Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I've upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Home and have

Customer Question

I've upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Home and have several issues:
1. Most important, I cannot send Emails. Outlook works except for SEND giving a 0x800CCC13 error. The system tells me that I have the latest version of Outlook.
2. I play the game Civilisation IV but cannot access it. I get "Access denied - Please login with Administrator Privileges and try again. This is a home computer and I am the Administrator with the system telling me that I have full access to everything. It is as if it is seeing me as a different person.
3. MAIL will not open and tells me that I am "not synced yet". I've tried all available means to sync but cannot. Perhaps this is related to point 1. above.
This is all very frustrating and has cause me hours of runaround and false solutions.
Can you help please?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you do the following please
Press the windows key and X and click on Command Prompt (Admin)
A black window will open
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Then tell me if you still have the issue
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download for Free
Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect
Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your advice about my Email has cleared the problem, thank you. Now about the other two items I mentioned?
I'm happy for you to have control of the computer for these and as I'm sure I'll need your services again in the future.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok problem 2, rather then double click the icon to start the game, right click it and select run as administrator instead
It should then run
Let me know if it does and we can do problem 3
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Problem 2..........advice did not work
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, right click on the icon for civilisation and select properties.
Then compatibility
Then select there windows 8 and also select at the bottom run as administrator.
click ok.
Restart the computer and double click and tell me if it now runs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right clicking the icon gives six choices but none for Compatibility, so I cannot proceed further. I've been finding this sort of thing all week where offered advice does not reflect the options in Windows 10.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
it is the instructions for windows 10 so strange so I would now like to connect to your computer please
Can you go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download for Free
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Teamviewer:
ID.......349419647
Password......7769
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
is says password ***** ***** can you double check it please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My fault.....7749....sorry
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
no problem