Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have installed Windows 10 and my homepage wont reload properly

Customer Question

I have installed Windows 10 and my homepage wont reload properly it keeps looping therefore I cannot access anything except my task manager and internet conntection
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
When you say homepage, you mean desktop correct?
And how do you mean looping? It is reloading the icons?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, to both questions

I have now got the same thing happening on my husbands profile too.

The bottom of the screen has menubar has the windows box, a 'search the web and windows box' a wee icon that looks like a table and chairs but all the time the icons keep popping on and off the screen and the mouse has the wee wheel spinning round most of the time too

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks Wendy
Can you do the following please
Power off the computer
Power on the computer and on the log in screen, hold down the SHIFT button and with it held down, click the power icon and choose restart. Keep SHIFT held until it has restarted into a menu. Choose Troubleshoot, then Advance, then System restore, and choose the last restore point.
Let this complete and tell me if the computer now functions correctly please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When it restarted I just got the login page again, Can you confirm what the menu page should look like and how I find the troubleshoot option?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
This is how it will look
http://www.howtogeek.com/131916/how-to-use-the-advanced-startup-options-to-fix-your-windows-8-computer/
Same as windows 8 was.
It says Trouble shoot on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, got that done but it comes up with an error message stating that no restore points have been created on your computer's system drive. to create a restore point open 'system protection'

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then we need to choose to do a refresh of the computer.
This will not remove your data but programs you will have to install again.
To do this, go back to the menu and choose REFRESH not RESET, my computer
let this complete and tell me if it now starts please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok back in the Troubleshoot menu I have two options - RESET this PC or Advanced options

Advanced has the following:

• System restore which we have tried

• System Image recovery

• Start up repair

• Command prompt

• UEFI Firmware settings

• Startup settings

Nothing that says REFRESH

tks

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, thats means something is wrong as you would get system refresh normally.
you have data on the computer you need to keep correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Most definitely.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thought so, so with that Wendy do you feel confident removing the hard drive from the computer yourself? Which means dismantling it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not a chance

When I look in the REset this PC option it has three further options:

Keep my files (removes apps and settings but keeps personal files)

Remove everything (removes all of your personal files, apps and settings) or

Restore factory settings

Any of these any good?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
oik, strange but you have a customer version, explains why there is no refresh
Choose Keep my files
This is refresh
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have set this going Richard, though it does look like slow progress. I take this means I will go back to the previous settings ie Windows 8.1 which I think is what the computer came with?

TksCool

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It depends on if it replaced the image, so we need to see Wendy
But it will be ok after this.
I have marked the question to never close though so any issues, just let me know here.
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard thats it finished installing - looks like Windows10 and a rather empty desktop. There is a folder containing removed apps and this includes my Sage accounts stuff - can I reactivate it from here?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, it should now be ok.
Let me know if you have any difficulties please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks looks okay - will need to download my Sage, but can see all my backups etc phew!

Thanks again

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome and Wendy, make backups!!
Especially before installing an upgrade about this.
You know about Dropbox?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Richard - I do have a backup to Knowhow Cloud but have never investigated it further other than I get a regular email telling me I'm backed up - must pay more attention Cool

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
if the data is important, treat it as so :)
All the best Wendy and if you need anything else let me know