IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I HAVE UPGRADED FROM WIN 7 TO WIN 10. THE INSTALATION WAS

i HAVE UPGRADED FROM WIN 7 TO WIN 10.
THE INSTALATION WAS OK
AFTER A RESET, WHICH IT DID NOT FINISH, THE PROGRAM IS GOING ROUND AND ROUND. SAYING ITS NOT ABLE TO ACCESS THE BOOT DEVICE. IT KEEPS TELLING ME YOU WILL RE START OVER AND OVER. i AM STUCK AS i CANT USE THE LAPTOP.
i HAVE A DELL LATITUDE E6400 THAT IS GIVING ME THE PROBLEM
I AM CONTACTING YOU ON A CHROME BOX
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. What is the exact and entire error including any numbers (they may start with 0x)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi freddy the screen shows the window 10 logo and under it a series of white dots. These keep coming and going, as if the system is going to start up. This changes to a note saying, it is unable to access the boot device but we will start the program. Sadly it returns to the win 10 logo and starts over again. The program is in a loop which will not stop, forcing me to turn off the computer. If I turn it on again I get the window 10 logo back

regards brian

PS no numbers shown at all on screen

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
I apologize but I need to opt out and open this to all experts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi are you finding a new Expert or are you leaving it to me, as my question has not been sorted out at all.? Regards Brian

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

If Windows 10 cannot boot properly, there is a way to access the repair options, but for that you need to have a Windows 10 disc.

Do you happen to have it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Miro,

I dont have a Win 10 disc.

I do have a Win 7 disc which works fine. I up-graded as per Microsoft recommendation to Win 10, the download worked. I tried to Reset the prog as per MS instructions and got tied up in this loop. rgds brian

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Brian!

Since you now have Windows 10 installed, you need to have a Windows 10 disc in order to access the repair options. A Windows 7 disc cannot be used.

There is a way of creating a Windows 10 disc for free; however, you need to use another working Windows computer. Do you have one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Miro,

I dont have another windows computer only a Chrome box and an old computer on Linux.

If I try to install the windows 7 disc will it over write win10 ? this would at least get me back to a computer that works. Rgds

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello!

Sure, you can use the Windows 7 disc to install Windows 7, but the only option that will be available would be "custom installation" where you need to delete (format) the current Windows 10 partition in order to install Windows 7. That means you will lose all the data there - programs and personal files. Windows doesn't fully support downgrade. When upgrading, you can keep installed programs and personal files. That is not the case with downgrade.

If you have important data you want to keep, the only alternative would be to go to a friend or relative who has a working Windows computer, and create a Windows 10 disc there in order to repair the current Windows 10 installation.

Let me know what you decided.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Miro,

I will try to install the window 7 disc as you suggested and get my computer back .

Will the win7 just over write or do I need to do anything special ?

I would be happy with a clean drive and win7 regds

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello!

Insert the Windows 7 disc and restart the computer. It should be automatically loaded. If not, set booting to CD/DVD drive and restart the computer again.

In the Windows Setup, you will be asked to select the language first. After that, click on "Install now". You will then see a list of available disk partitions. You first need to format the existing Windows 10 partitions. To do that, select the one with the biggest total size. Click on "Drive options (advanced)" and then on Format.

Confirm the format and the selected partition will be erased. You can then install Windows 7 there, so select it and click Next.

After that, the installation is automatized, so just wait until Windows 7 has been installed. You can then install the programs you use and customize your user account.

In case you encounter problems, just reply to me, I am here to help you further.

Regards,
IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Miro, thanks for your help I have windows 7 working again

Can I get windows 10 again on this computer from MS as a free d/load ?

Rgds Brian

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, Brian!

I am glad you could re-install Windows 7!

Yes, you can upgrade to Windows 10 again. If you go through the standard procedure, you may need to reserve your copy of Windows 10 again and wait for several days. However, there is a way to upgrade immediately, without waiting.

You can use the Windows 10 media creation tool. Here are the instructions:

First, click on this link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Download and run the media creation tool and choose the first option there - Upgrade this PC now.

Follow the instructions and it will allow you to upgrade to Windows 10 without waiting.

You can also use the same tool to create a Windows 10 installation media (disc) used for repairing and reinstalling Windows 10. I highly recommend doing it so that you can access the Windows 10 repair options in case you encounter problems again.

Regards,
IT Miro