Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ MCSE with over 12 years experience.
13274453

I have just bought a Samsung EVO850 SSD, but I'm having problems

I have just bought a Samsung EVO850 SSD, but I'm having problems with the magician software recognising it. In Drive Information, it tells me that ASMT 2115 is a USB device (it's connected via USB to SATA) and says that it's capacity is 931.51GB. It also runs the performance test on the SSD. However, it is not recognised as an SSD so the migration software won't run.
I looked through the FAQ's and formatted the SSD as Drive E and it shows up as such in Device Manager.
What should I do to migrate the OS to the new SSD, please?
Regards, ***** *****
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Hi David. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.
The Samsung drive you bought is an excellent piece of hardwar. Unfortunately the same can't be said of the Samsung software.

If you want to clone your old drive to the new I'd recommend using Acronis True Image.
Since they offer a free trial it won't cost anything to use. You can get it here:

http://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/pc-backup/

-
Please let me know if you need more clarification. I will always do my best to answer your question. Your satisfaction is my top goal. If you are not satisfied with the answer I provide, for any reason, please allow me to continue to help you (or recommend you for another expert or refund) rather than giving a negative rating. A positive rating is always appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** is downloading now. If I move the OS to the new SSD Drive E:, will Drive C: (the OS) become a sub-folder of E: or will Acronis just delete everything, including the existing drive letter?

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
I need to better understand how you have your hardware set up. Is this a laptop you're upgrading or a PC? If a laptop you'll back the drive up to external storage. Once done you put your new drive in the laptop and boot from an Acronis CD which will need to be created. Once booted from the CD you'll select the backup you created and restore it to your new hard drive.

If you're putting the drive in a desktop, connect the drive as an additional drive and clone from old to new. Once done, remove the old drive, hook the new one up in its place and boot from it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Its a laptop. So, should I back up to the new SSD, or to a different external drive? And once that's done and the CD created, do I then remove the existing HDD and replace it with the SSD - bearing in mind it's currently Drive E:?

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Back the image up to something other than your new drive. Once the backup is done and your bootable media created, remove your existing drive and replace it with the Samsung. Boot from the Acronis CD and restore the image from external storage to your new drive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Backing up to another external drive now - which will take some time, I guess.

When I put the new SSD into the computer, will the first partition automatically be renamed C: instead of E: as it will then be the only internal drive?

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
It will. True Image will take care of setting up the partitions. I'm not sure what's already been done with the new drive but if you're asked about partitions let True Image remove everything and start fresh.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I'll get back to you tomorrow and let you know how it went!

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Great. I'll be online then.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Acronis now tells me that Disk Cloning is not available in trial mode. Any further ideas?

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I sounds like you are using Clone Disk from the Utilities menu. Use the Backup option to back up an image of the drive to your external storage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It appeared that the Acronis Backup/Restore option was going to be too complicated for me (I'm not a computer expert!). I managed to track down a Samsung SSD professional (in Holland) who was able to talk me through the software. Result - the computer is now running from the SSD and it's an amazing transformation.

However, thank you for your time and patience.

Regards'

David Fox