Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Locked by Customer Service

Hi, we have a large house with newly built kitchen extension which required a second consumer board and an East wing / West wing split of electrics onto 2 consumer boards. As a result, Devolo 200av Ethernet plugs no longer receive internet over power line in half the house, killing our internet access in that half. Is there a way to bridge from one wing to the other to enable both halves of the house to have internet? Line of sight wifi extenders /repeaters just don't do it as plug sockets aren't positioned to make that work . If I can't get this to work I presume I'm stuck with having to buy miles of Cat 5/6 and hard-wiring internet points in the parts not covered. Or is there another way? Thanks, ***** *****
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
If you cannot do this via wifi, and your also not able to continue the use of the powerline adapters, you would have to run a Cat 5 cable, it is the only other alternative left.
There are only 3 methods, Wireless, Power lines and ethernet cable sorry.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Can you answer my specific question about bridging - I.e if I daisy-chain 2 devolo plugs with an Ethernet patch cable across the split in the electrical circuits , will the second devolo plug receive internet over Ethernet and send it out wirelessly in the currently dead zone, or are their Ethernet ports outbound only ? Thanks. Nick.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
They are outbound only sorry Nick, they cannot repeat a signal.
If you can get the two circuits connected just for power though, then the signal could travel across. It just needs to have a connection from one to the other.
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard, not sure what to do now. You've essentially confirmed what I already knew, with the only new / as yet unexplored avenue being to join the 2 electrical circuits (without knowing if that is legal/viable as it could be defeating the point of having 2 consumer units/circuits , I.e safety/reduced risk of electrical issues in our house) . You've provided advice but I don't feel £28 worth . How can we agree a lower figure for your help, which in the end occupied about 5 minutes of your time, if that. Thanks, Nick.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, I can only tell you the reality of the situation, and its not the time but experience your paying for.
But if you do not want to pay the agreed amount for this, then how much?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How about £15? I appreciate the value of experience and rely on it myself to make a living. Thanks, Nick