yourteqrepair
yourteqrepair, Technologically Savvy
Experience:  I have earned my 13+ years of knowledge through self-taught repairs, research, studying and plain old trial and error.
71069233

Getting error message this device cannot open (code 10)

getting error message this device cannot open (code 10) on usb to serial port manufactured by prolific computer is ASUS X555 LD
Category: Computer
Expert:  yourteqrepair replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried changing the Com port number in the device manager?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes tried that

What versions of windows do you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10

I have ran into this before. Let me look at my notes to find the solution. Might take a couple mins to search through them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thank you

This site has the instructions that I used. Even though it's Windows 8 instructions. it still worked on 10. http://leftbraintinkering.blogspot.com/2013/05/usb-to-serial-prolific-2303-device.html
Sorry i seen another item in my notes. It's a little different in windows 10. You need to download that driver from the link. go to that item in device manager. Right click and go to properties. Driver tab. update driver. Browse for driver software on your computer. let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. click " have disk" . Go to that location where you up-zipped the file you downloaded. there should be ser2pl.inf. Select it. click open then ok. following the rest of the install. it should be all set. I just tested it on my computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brilliant thank you so much best I get to bed
Cheers again