Josh
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

My Kindle (2 years old) suddenly blanked while in use. When

My Kindle (2 years old) suddenly blanked while in use. When I eventually got it back it had lost WiFi connection - I accessed settings but cannot get in to view the available connections. What to do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you Please let me know the model# ***** the kindle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Michelle - 4.1.2(###) ###-####

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
does it say cannot connect to router or your router is not even listed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It won't allow me to get in to view the available options

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
it seems the kindle would need to be resetyou downloaded all the ebooks from amazon is that correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
ok i will give the steps to reset the kindlebefore that i would like you to know the below When you wipe your Kindle, you will lose everything that you put on it. Content that you purchased through Amazon will remain linked to your account and can be re-downloaded, but third-party e-books and apps need to be saved separately.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
so if there is anything you downloaded from elsewhere other than amazon let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Only from Amazon

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
ok great..please follow the below stepsslide and hold the power button for 30 seconds and release it then immediately press and hold the home button and wait for until the screen flashes. If done it correctly, The device should reboot itself to its factory defaults within a short time
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
once reset you will be able to connect tomwifi again and need to redownload the ebooks from amazon...
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
let me know if you face any difficulty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK I did that and the Kindle picture appeared (with all the e-books intact)

However I still cannot access the network options in the Settings menu

I forgot to mention that the response to the centre button is very slow.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
how old is the kindle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was a Christmas 2013 gift so I suppose that it could be two years old

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
try the below From the Home screen, press Menu.2. Select Settings.3. Press Menu.4. Select Reset to Factory Defaults.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
let me know how it goes
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
let me know if you were able to complete the factory reset
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Michelle - tried that but nothing happened. I have to work now so can I get back to you later?

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
yes sure..let me know what time you will be back so that i can be online at the same time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

At about 2ish this afternoon - thank you

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
sure..post me a message once you are online and ready
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Michelle - I'm back but nothing has changed! I have no trouble with getting into and reading my books but I still can't enter the WiFi menu

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
i am online..give me a moment here..i am checking the kindle specs on my end
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm on another computer - have I missed you answer?

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Step 1Press and release the "Power" button to activate your second-generation Kindle Fire or Kindle Fire HD.Step 2Swipe down from the top of the screen to display the device options, and then tap “More” to display the Settings menu.Step 3Tap “Device” and select “Reset to Factory Defaults.”Step 4Tap “Erase Everything,” and then tap “Yes” to confirm. The Kindle restarts and restores the factory settings. Wait about five minutes. The tablet will restart and prompt you to connect to a network.Step 5Select your Wi-Fi network and enter your password. Once the tablet connects to the network, it prompts you to register your Kindle.Step 6Input the email address and password ***** your Amazon account and click “Register.” Once registered, the Kindle will take you through the new user tutorial. Although the files that were saved on the device are lost, you can still access all content purchased from the Kindle Store or saved in cloud storage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Michelle - my Kindle is the most basic device (5th generation) and not a Kindle Fire or Kindle Fire HD - does this make a difference to the above instructions?

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if this is a kindle paperwhite.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No - it's just a common or garden plain Kindle

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
attaching a list of kindles please identify and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kindle 5th generation - the model before the Paperwhite was introduced

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
http://www.brainchamber.com/2013/06/15/kindle-reset-procedures/ check the link and follow the reset steps.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
http://glyde.com/glydecast/how-to/wipe-kindle/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Morning Michelle - I have done all that you have advised and Kindle has been rebooted. Now the only problem I have is that the Wi-Fi setting is indicating that there are no Wi-Fi networks available and that the Kindle is therefore not connected. Originally there were 10 networks to choose from but they seem to have disappeared.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
please turn off your router..wait for 2 minutesturn on routertry to scan again for wifi network on kindle and let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately hat didn't work either

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
i will open the question to other experts for there views. you will be notified through email.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
iAs i am running out of ideas.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Hi! It sounds like your Kindle has hardware failure. Did you perform the factory reset as instructed above?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I used the reset button in the settings menu and clicked OK that I was aware that the device would be wiped clean - nothing happened - everything remained as it was before - I can access my books and read them and I can change the settings - the Wi-Fi menu however shows that there are no Wi-Fi options available (up until Tuesday of this week there were 10 to choose from) and therefore no connectivity.

Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Did the Kindle restart after the factory reset?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It didn't even close down even when I clicked OK - just went back to where I started - in the settings menu

Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Try the steps again because it should have restarted and reset the Kindle
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Expert for over 10 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Josh - after numerous attempts it is all sorted thank goodness!!

Heartfelt thanks to both you and your colleague Michelle for all the time and trouble you took to help me with my problem.

Thank you both again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Josh

I don't have any more questions at the moment thank you