technicalcat
technicalcat, Consultant
Experience:  20 years combined corporate and small business experience.
65369237

I cannot open OpenDoculemt files in My Documents.

Category: Computer
Expert:  technicalcat replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. What exact message or error do you see when you try to open one of these documents?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No message or error visible. Simply fails to open. Also, when I try to go into OpenOffice 4.1.1 it silmply fails to open with no message/error. This worked fine until today. I suppose OpenOffice is in trouble?

Do you find this problem for every document? Also Please RIGHT click on one of the problematic documents. Then left click on PROPERTIES. In the windows that follows you should see a type of file. Please tell me the type of file. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OpenDocument Text (.odt)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where are we? It is 25 min, or so,since I replied to your last message.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Now I find that Microsoft Word 97-2003 documents will not open. However Adobe Acrobat Documents do open.

Bill,

Sorry for the delay. I had gone offline for a bit. Thank you for the positive rating. Much appreciated. I will continue to help you now until you get this resolved.

If all of your documents are failing to open, there is very likely a problem with your installation of Open Office. Have you tried uninstalling, rebooting your computer, and reinstalling the latest version of Open office? It can be downloaded here:

https://www.openoffice.org/download/

Let me know if this solves the problem. If not, we will continue to troubleshoot. Thank You.
Also, do not pay attention to the PDF files. They are very likely not being opened the same way or with the same program as your ODT files.