yourteqrepair
yourteqrepair, Technologically Savvy
Experience:  I have earned my 13+ years of knowledge through self-taught repairs, research, studying and plain old trial and error.
71069233

I am having problems with Windows 10 update. Error code c1900208

Customer Question

I am having problems with Windows 10 update. Error code c1900208 and 80240020. Please help.
Category: Computer
Expert:  yourteqrepair replied 1 year ago.
Are you upgrading from USB/DVD or through the update that popup's on your computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Through the pop up on mycomputer. I run Windows 8.1 professional.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pop up say you will be informed when the update is ready to be installed but in update section it has tried to update at least 30 times but always failed Error code.
Try the following.The cause of the error code 80240020 may be due to incomplete or corrupted Windows 10 setup installation components that were downloaded onto local disk before setup executes.To resolve the issue, delete all the files and folders inside the %WinDir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download” and/or%SystemDrive%\$Windows.~BT folder.Then, open a Command Prompt as Administrator, and run the following command to trigger the upgrade to Windows 10 instantly:wuauclt.exe /updatenow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to do that tomorrow. Can I come back to you then? Please leave your name.
That is fine. Nick from yourteqrepair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What time is convenient for you?
After 5pm eastern time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is Eastern time? I am in England and it is now 22.58
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You seem to have disappeared. See you tomorrow.
Sorry it's 6:02 PM Michigan/ US time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am finding it difficult to wade through your site. Please send me an email. I do not want a solicitor or a Barrister. I am a very experienced Barrister. I just want Windows 10 loaded and working. I'll try to contact you tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried. It does not work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am getting very concerned. If you can't help, please say so. Error codes I mentioned were c1900208 and 802420'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, c1900208 and 80240020.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please email me when you are available. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is getting a bit late and I can't find any help from you or any one else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you can't help me. Can I have my money back please?
sorry for delay. I work during the day. Have you tried what i previously posted?Try the following.The cause of the error code 80240020 may be due to incomplete or corrupted Windows 10 setup installation components that were downloaded onto local disk before setup executes.To resolve the issue, delete all the files and folders inside the %WinDir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download” and/or%SystemDrive%\$Windows.~BT folder.Then, open a Command Prompt as Administrator, and run the following command to trigger the upgrade to Windows 10 instantly:wuauclt.exe /updatenow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried. It did not respond. I'll try again and come back to you. Thank you for your email.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nick, I tried your suggestion but the message from windows was, "Windows can not find %WinDir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and/or ..............."I can, subject to you approval try C:"\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete evrything. It does have a long list.
No matter what I'll still rate you 5 star.
Please get back to me when convenient.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to tell you that I have "Get Windows 10" icon on my computer. Do I have to wait until I get a notification that my computer is ready to receive the update to Windows 10 or can I do it now? Could you deal with my question as soon as possible. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please deal with my questions I asked you on the 20th. You are a very able man. Help me out as quickly as you can.
C:"\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" is the same as %WinDir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download" . You can delete it and see if it helps the installation issues you are having.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try to deal with it tomorrow and come back to you. What troubles me is my lack of knowledge. I have seven City & Guilds in computer programming languages. As compared to you I am like a baby in arms. Perhaps just computer illiterate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nick, I did everything but the download failed with message Error code 80240020. What do I do now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please treat this matter as desperately urgent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please could you deal with my request as soon as possible. Many thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still waiting for your response. All the normal upgrades are getting in but the Windows 10 is not. It is the same Error code 80240020. I have tried a few times now but constant failure. Please help me out. Your money is absolutely secure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please deal with my request. If you can not do so, please say so. Thank you.
Here are some more things you can try. If this doesn't work. I feel you should bring it to a repair shop that has more experience to fix the issue. What this error means is, your Windows 10 installation folder is unfinished and/or corrupted. Now, how do you fix that?1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder. (If you're unable to complete this step, look at "edit 5" down below)2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.EDIT: For those who still have issues, several users reported that setting their time forward (to the First of August for example) and then doing the above steps again helped them resolve the issue.EDIT 2: If none of the above works, you can try to download Windows 10 from Microsoft's website:http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 . Just be cautious that you want to do an upgrade,not a clean install! If you do a clean install, Windows 10 will not activate. You would need a new product key for that. But if you do an upgrade, your product key from Win 7/8/8.1 will carry over to your Win 10. Once you've completed the upgrade and checked that Windows is activated, you can do a clean reinstall if necessary.EDIT 3: Another possible fix from Microsoft themselves but requires you to tamper with registry keys:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-update-installation-failure-80240020/d695e827-9774-4e10-8972-df8d51a7bb51?auth=1 (thanks /u/ritoman)EDIT 4: Microsoft support is endorsing this as an official fix! Now, ain't that an accomplishment?https://twitter.com/WindowsSupport/status/626461440568872960 (thanks /u/RxBrad) Thanks for all the gold and kind words, guys!EDIT 5: If you're unable to delete the contents of the folder due to them being in use, try the following:1. Open the folder "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download"2. Run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "net stop wuauserv". You should see a message indicating that the Windows Update service has been stopped.3. Now, go back to the folder and now you should be able to delete all its contents.4. Go back to the command prompt and this time, type in "net start wuauserv". This time, the message will tell you the Windows Update service has been started.5. Go back to step 2 in the original post.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Nick. I have given you five stars.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nick. Time to say goodbye. If you are ever in England, look me up. My eldest son is a computer science graduate, ex RAF and now heads a team of some 40 computer graduates. I am absolutely useless. Thank you once again. Please make sure that this is the end of my dealing with your company. I do not want annual membership or free trials. Saleem