dresteve2000
dresteve2000, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ years of Desktop, Laptop, and Server troubleshooting and support.
71208907

I have upgraded to windows 10 and I have a printer DELL which

I have upgraded to windows 10 and I have a printer DELL which is printing but the scanner function that I had through right clicking on the printer device no longer seems available.There is nothing wrong with the printer as far as I can see.
Category: Computer
Expert:  dresteve2000 replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi

How do I get your answer

Are you connected to your Dell printer using USB cable or your wifi network?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

could you tell me which one?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

usb cable

Do you have the installation CD from the dell printer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes I do.

So if you could, please remove the printer from Devices and Printers and then disconnect the USB cable. Restart your computer and then start the install program on the CD and follow the on screen instructions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have unplugged and restarted and it now seems to work with scanning functionality.

This is good although having inserted the CD the screen said it could not recognise a printer

Do you mean that the install program does not recognize a printer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, but when I tried printing and scanning again with the printer it worked. The installation instructions told me to connect and switch the printer on and then said that they could not find a printer.

This might be because it was already installed...did you remove it from windows before disconnecting or did you leave it? Anyhow, if it is working now then I would just cancel the install and let it be
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did not uninstall the software but simply removed it from selected devices in the control panel and unplugged the usb cable and restarted as you indicated.

Anyway it works now.

May I ask you one other question. When I upgraded to windows 10 the Kaspersky pure protection suite seems to have been uninstalled. Can you confirm that this is automatic on windows 10 upgrade and also do I need to reinstall or is the windows 10 protection adequate.

Yes, many times with Windows 10 upgrade it will remove any antivirus software you might have had installed
Dependent on your browsing habits W10 protection might be sufficient, but you would definitely be more protected with Kaspersky
I hope I was able to help you today. If you are satisfied with my answer, rating my answer with positive feedback with the stars above would be greatly appreciated. If you do have any additional questions please do feel free to post them here. Thank you for using Just Answer! Have a Great Day!