Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

Kindle does not charge battery

kindle does not charge battery
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Have you tried a different charger yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried the Kindle charger on another device and it will charge that. Currently I am trying another charger. Is there a way to charge this off mains?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
You can charge it with a computer instead. If another charger does the same thing does the port feel loose? If not how old is the computer? Have you ever replaced the battery?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's a mini fire-wire for the Kindle and seems OK. But how do you charger it from a computer? The Kindle has been off for some time so would it take over an hour to charge?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
It should be a usb cable charger not firewire. You would just connect it to a port on the computer and it would start charging. 10 minutes is long enough to see if it will come on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is a yellow light by the power switch. Does this mean it is charging? And why would it charge from the computer but not from mains? Does it mean that the plug needs replacing? I'll set it for 10 mins and then get back to you.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
That light does mean it is charging and no sometimes it can just be a glitch. Switching outlets would have worked too if this works. If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have now held on switch for 15 seconds, and green light came on. But it still has the 'empty battery' screen up.

If you let go of the switch,then the green light goes off.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Does the port feel loose? If not how old is the Kindle? Have you ever replaced the battery?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

port is not loose. it's around 4 years old and has hardly been used, so i would not expect the battery to have been used up!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
You ruled out the outlet, the charger cable, and just now the port. Which means you have either a dead battery or a failing board. Even though they are rechargable the batteries do die, they actually last longer if they are used rather than not used at all. Did you get an extended warranty with it? On the back there is a tiny hard to read model number, what is that number?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

D00901 it now has th screen but says that the battery needs charging. Does this mean I need a new battery and where do you buy them from?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

D00901. Screen is now on, but says battery needs charging. Does this mean I need new battery and if so where do you order them from? thanks

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Keep it charging longer if you have older ports on your computer that could explain why it took longer than 10 minutes. Otherwise yes you would need a new battery which you can get from here: Cick Here It comes with all tools needed and here is a video on how to do it: Click Here If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Kindle.