Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

On my galaxy young gts5360 I can access the internet from my

On my galaxy young gts5360 I can access the internet from my home wifi which is shown as connected but my email shows unable to connect to server?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
If you disconnect the wifi connection so the device is only running on mobile data and not wifi, does it then connect with the email server?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I disconnected the wifi but still no link. However the signal is very poor here.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Even if the signal is poor, if you get some internet, the email should work.
Can you put it back on Wifi.
Then we will re-add the email account. To do this.
Go to Settings >> Accounts & Syncs and remove the email account there.
Then open the email app again and re-add your email account like you initially did when getting the phone.
Then tell me please if it now allows you to send and receive emails.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It says setup could not finish, could not connect to server.

Am I missing something obvious

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me the settings you are using please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Choice of three - Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync - Google - Samsung.

I used the first one.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Which email service are you connecting to?
eg: Hotmail, Gmail?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

TalkTalk/tiscali

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You do not choose Active Synch but just the standard Internet Email.
Follow the steps on my link below and this will show you how to add it to your phone.
http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/setting-talktalk-email-android-phone
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Lost contact as Explorer closed webpage. the broadband signal is weak and often ceases.

I tried the instructions on the talktalk site but my phone does not list "email" under Accounts and Sync, only Facebook and Twitter plus the three already mentioned. Perhaps I should just get a new phone?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
First I want to rule out the firmware as the cause.
To do this, we need to do a factory reset.
This will remove all data and return the phone to new, so photos, contacts ect are removed, but this we cannot avoid.
To do the reset.
Go to Settings, Privacy, Factory Data Reset.(If you do not see it check Settings, Storage, Factory Data Reset).
Let this complete and when it has, setup the phone again like you did when you first received it.
then open the Email App and you can again add the email account to the phone.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

After factory reset "Accounts and Sync" still did not show email on the list. however. when I tapped on the now empty email logo it allowed me to set up my account and current email is being received as before. there is a snag. I have now reverted to the factory phone number, which I changed to my old number, number and now nobody knows it!

I still don't understand how my phone managed to delete my account in the first place.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
The firmware crashed Stephen, thats why it was removed and why we needed to reinstall it.
The phone number is ***** on the Contract not the phone so it should still have the same number. Else an issue has occurred with the provider and you will need to call them to check this as the phone does not actually set the phone number, these are two seperate things.
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.