Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

Can not get start menu up on windows 10 up grade

can not get start menu up on windows 10 up grade
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you Please let me know that when was the last time the computer was working fine
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
press the windows key and let me know that does the start menu screen pop up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
when was the last time the computer was running fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

8 days ago

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
press the windows key and X key together let me know if any window opens
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

nothing happen

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
ok no problems..do you see the different icons on your screen....open computer icon...let me know once the window is open
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the computer window is open

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
on the leftside pane do you see desktop option..click on it
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
then click on computer option from left side pane again..then click on open control panel option on top
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
let me know once done
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

control panel open

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
click on system and security optionunder action center you will see an option to restore your computer to an earlier time..click on itclick on open system restorelet me know once done
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

done

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
click on next option to restore computer to earlier date and time..select a date on which computer was running fine..follow the onscreen steps to complete the system restoreonce the restore completes the computer will restartafter restart check if the windows start menu works or notlet me know the status
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

restore will not go back more than 7 days and I had the problem more than 8 days

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
do you see an option below the dates box that says show more restore points
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
check it and it will show more dates
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I have already done that the last restore point was the 18th and it was upgraded round about the 10th

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
ok give me a moment
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
press the windows key and R key togetherin the box that pops up type cmd..hit enterin the black command window type Powershell and hit enter
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Paste the following command in the Administrator: Windows PowerShell window and press Enterkey:Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" Wait for PowerShell to execute and complete the command. Ignore the few errors (in red color) that may pop up.When it finishes click on start and let me know if start menu opens or not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file. is what it is saying

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
ok ..when you right click on the start button does it open any menu or options
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it opens 18 options

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Right click on the START buttonHold the shift key while selecting RESTARTSelect TROUBLESHOOT from the recovery menuSelect REFRESH YOUR PC
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
this will not delete your data just refresh the settings so that any setting that is not working correctly gets reinstalled\reconfigured
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi Michelle everything is working fine after resetting it but the eternal mouse which is disable at the moment. it use to work with both connected and when I tried to use it at the same time I had a error come up and it had to start up again if I enable it and take out the external mouse will it stop the error coming up again . of course I have not try it yet.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
please confirm that when you plug in an external mouse, did the laptop restart after giving an error..
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
there is a possibility that the drivers of the external mouse might be causing a conflict
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
let me know the make and model of computer and make and model of mouse
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the make of the compute is MSI the mouse is TRUST ok

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
ok currently the external mouse is not plugged in..is that correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no I am using it

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
ok so right now you are able to use the mouse and laptop without any problem
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
is that correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
so what is disabled at the moment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the internal mouse

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
ok you mean the touch pad
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
have you disabled it by pressing some fn key sequence or its automatic as when we plug an external mouse the touchpad gets disabled..let me know which is the case..
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
try enabling the internal mouse and let me know how it goes..if the error repeats then the internal mouse software and external mouse software are conflicting each other and in such a case, it would be best to use either one of them at a time...
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
let me know if you have any questions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Please click on a smiley face below or stars above to complete the rating if your question has been answeredThanks for choosing Just Answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did not work there must be a conflict between each other I will use the external mouse the error cam up when using the touch pad

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
yes that is correct. i would suggest to use one device at a time onlythe conflict can affect windows file system..so my recommendation would be to use one device at a timewindows 10 being newly launched there are still software updates that are being released and with gradual windows updates the windows system will stabilise
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
let me know if you have any questionsPlease click on a smiley face below or stars above to complete the rating if your question has been answeredThanks for choosing Just Answer
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors