Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a Kindle Fire which has run out of space. It lists space

I have a Kindle Fire which has run out of space. It lists space used for books as40 but 'other items' as over 400. But I can't access these other items and have no idea what they are. I only use it for one magazine and books. Can you help please?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
This is usually an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.
Remove the charger from the Kindle and hold the power button to off for 35 seconds.
Release, then connect the charger and try to turn on the Kindle and use it
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Plugged in as you said, it has come on but has a message 'Low storage. Your Kindle has run out of storage. in order to continue to download or copy content to your Kindle, please remove some apps or content files Wi-fi operation and Usb file transfer are disabled until storage space is available'.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok, you will then need to uninstall apps now to free up more space.
To do this
Select “Apps” from the Home screen.
Kindle Fire Apps selection
Tap “Device“.
Kindle Fire Device menu in Apps
Tap and hold the app you wish to remove until a menu appears above the icon, then select “Remove from Device“.
Kindle Fire remove app from device
Select “OK” to confirm app removal, and the app is gone.
Repeat this until you have freed up enough space to use.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tapped Device but no Kindle Device menu showed. I only have 14 apps. Difficult to see how removing any would give more space. It is the mystery 400 others that I can't identifty that is causing the problem.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, it can be then the firmware thats the issue here so it is best to reload this.
This will remove all data so clearing the issue, and return the Kindle to new, so you register it again to get your books back. Apps you will have to reunstall.
To do this.
Swipe down from the top of the screen and tap Settings. Tap Device Options, and then tap Reset to Factory Defaults. Tap Reset to confirm.
Set it up again and it should now function correctly.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so muchfor yourhelp.
I have managed to re-install everything I use. And I hope that the mystery items will stay away.
All very traumatic for someone fairly hopeless with small devices. I will now go and have a nice lie-down.
Antoinette
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Excellent to hear it is now solved, it will now be ok Antoinette, but any issues, please let me know here.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.