Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Help please! My Samsung Galaxy will not show my emails. It

Help please! My Samsung Galaxy will not show my emails. It shows the list of boxes but I cannot open any of them to read emails in new or sent box. I will be able to read your reply on my computer! I
have tried rebooting.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you please remove the battery from the Galaxy and wait 10 minutes.
Then connect the battery, turn on the Phone and tell me if the emails can now be read.
Let me know please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would also like to know why this has happened so it doesn't happen again!

I don't see how to remove the battery from my tablet. Please instruct.

I have already tried running the battery right down and recharging (once) which did not help.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you only said galaxy, can you tell me please the actual model of your device?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry not to have given you enough info, Richard.

It is a Samsung tablet CE0168

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Its ok, but thats makes sense why you cannot get the battery out as on Tablets its not possible.
Can you go to Settings, Applications.
Look under the list ALL (so swipe to it) for Email. Press it and press Clear CACHE (not Data)
Once done, close it and try to open an email
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard, I have under Settings under Device "Applications Manager" no Email that I can see (I do have Galaxy apps and also Samsung in-app purchases).

Under Settings under Accounts I do have Email but no possibility to clear cache.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, you go to Applications Manager
Then you have to Swipe to the list all (so swipe left all right till you get there.
then you will see Email in the list
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry but swiping on Apps Manager doesn't do anything. If I press on it I get a list of Downloaded Apps but I don't see Email among them.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, you need to press on it, so you see Downloaded Apps THEN you Swipe it it to get to the list All.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes when I press on it to the right side I get a heading DOWNLOADED below which is a list of over 50 apps in alphabetical order but between Dropbox and Facebook there is no Email.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Georgina.
Your not reading my instructions correctly.
When you see the list for Downloaded, you have to SWIPE with your finger to the left or right to get the the list ALL, so you see ALL Apps, not just downloaded.
Can you please do this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Apologies Richard and thank you for your patience. I have now done all that and pressed Clear Cache. I then shut the tablet down and restarted it. However when I open email I still get a list of Boxes but am unable to get into any of them.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, go back and instead of pressing Clear Cache, press Clear Data instead
Then restart the Tablet and tell me if you still have the problem please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Clear Cache and Clear Data both cleared but not the problem I'm afraid.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, now open the email App
While viewing the account , tap the Menu key.
Tap Settings.
Tap Delete account.
Tap Delete.
You've now removed the email account.
Then Tap Menu, Settings and Add the email account again like you did when you first received the Tablet and tell me if it now functions correctly please Georgina
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Under Accounts Email at the top it says Remove Account and Sync now. I'm going to press Remove account. OK?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've deleted the account and am now adding a new one. I'm struggling a bit - a younger member of the family did it for me when my tablet was new - and the authentication has failed so set up can't finish. I don't think it likes my password.

So not quite sure what to do next!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It does not like the password ***** using for this.
Which email service is this for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

btconnect.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Richard but I'm confused. It has sent the email re resetting to husband's email address on his computer and is asking security questions like mother's maiden name. Do they want MY security answers or HIS ?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It will be yours as its your account.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Richard. The new password ***** to be working fine. I had a useful feature on it before to save having to delete masses of emails: as soon as I look at an email on my laptop it doesn't come up on my tablet or gets deleted from my tablet. Please could I have it like that again?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
When you looked at it on the Laptop?
It would never delete it from the Tablet after looking at it on another device...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes all emails go to my laptop and remain on it. They only go through to my tablet if I have not opened the email box on my laptop. Any that do go through to my tablet automatically delete when I open the laptop box. Not the other way round!! Brilliant as I don't have to delete everything from my tablet and it doesn't get jammed up.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that means you have the Laptop deleting emails once it has downloaded them.
you need to enter the new email password ***** your laptop so it can again connect and download emails as it is using the old invalid password *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Right. I thought the clever university student who set up my new tablet for me organised it from the tablet but perhaps I had my laptop with me too. How do I enter the new password ***** my laptop?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Depends on what program you are using to access the emails
Which program is it?
I can also do these steps for you on the laptop, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for offering to go into my laptop to sort this. However I would rather first get the original problem solved, which it is not.

I have opened my new email account which shows that there are 5 messages in my Inbox (all from you I'm sure!). However I still cannot open my Inbox to read them.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, that was not clear you still had the issue.Then you will have to reset the Tablet, it will remove all data (photos apps ect) from it and return it to new but you cannot avoid this.To do this go to Settings and then to Backup & reset.Tap Factory reset device and Reset Devive. Choose Erase Everything if you are sure you want to clear all your data. Select OK to confirm the whole operation.Then set it up, add the email account again and tell me if it now functions please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I hadn't checked whether it had all worked or not before.

So now I have a BIGGER problem. I cannot read emails at all. I cannot get into my tablet Inbox and my laptop is now not downloading any (since 14.13 hours today) because of the password *****

And I will have to download all my apps again.

I am about to Reset it

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Reset the Tablet please as then you can setup the email account and access your emails again on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am trying to open an email account but it says Setup can't finish because authentication failed. And I am using the new password!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It would only say that if its the wrong password.
Can you very carefully please type it in, make sure if its capitals your using capitals ect.
Else reset it again and use the new password.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have reset password ***** used it but it still won't authenticate

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you restart the Tablet and try again please.
The only reason for this is the password ***** ***** incorrectly entered. possible you can make it more simpler to ensure this is not happening?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Restarted and same new simple password ***** entered. Authentication failed. Before that appears, once or twice "checking incoming server settings" has flashed up very briefly.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, this may be related to the initial problem and that the memory in the Tablet is faulty
Do a factory reset again and try to add the email account
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have done as you ask: factory reset, try to add email account. Same again except that "checking incoming server settings" appears briefly every time before authentication failed.

Disappointing that we have got nowhere - in fact my problem is worse now that I cannot access emails at all. .Unsatisfactory.

The same Richard cannot surely still be at work? You have been patient and helpful but I'm afraid the overall result is: failed.

I have had enough and feel we aren't going to get anywhere and need to stop, as I seem to have done little else all day.

I know you've spent a fair time on me, but do I get my money back?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes I am the same Richard.
The Tablet is faulty, this is what I indicated before else it would accept the password.We have ruled out everything else
It is the internal memory that has faulted.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the tablet to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Richard. I'll have to check documentation but it was new Christmas 2013 I think, so probably out of warranty.

Is there any chance you can tell me a not too technical and complicated way of telling my laptop my new password ***** I can receive emails again?? I'm reluctant to spend another £20 plus for you to go into my computer and do it when it shouldn't have been necessary (of course if you are refunding the original amount, that's a different matter!)

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ill do it at no extra cost, just if you can now do the steps below I can connect to your computer and do this for you.
Can you go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download for Free
Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect
Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am running the programme - is that enough or do I need to install it?

The ID and password ***** my email account are:

*****@******.***

georharg9

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You need to install it and give m here e the ID and Password ***** gives you please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have downloaded it but lost it so don't see any ID or password. Sorry!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You need to RUN it after downloading it....
Just like running any program you download.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
This is maybe easier for you
Click on this link, click I agree and run the file please
http://www.justanswer.co.uk/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=523cdea3-64f4-41c4-83dc-7eb2ffcc987c
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've clicked on Run twice but each time it's said:

download didn't succeed. Check network connection or contact .....provider

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you try again now please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Same again I'm afraid

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Then run Team viewer please as my instructions indicated.
Download it rum www.teamviewer.com and run it
You have only just downloaded it.
You need to RUN the file.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry Richard but TeamViewer says Close before Installing so I don't know where it is

and Remote desktop client file says application download didn't succeed

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
because you already have Teamviewer open....
So give me the ID and Password ***** it please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I have the Remote Control Box open but there is no ID or password ***** in the bottom left hand corner there is a red blob beside "Not ready. Please check your connection."

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
there is an issue with your computer, likely you need to restart it.
I need to go offline now, I am over 2 hours over my time to try to connect with you.
I am back at 8am your time tomorrow so we can continue then.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for going over your time to help me. We both need a break! I'll shut my laptop down for the night and hope we can resume in the morning.

Closing down I found a box saying something needed access for TeamViewer which |I've now ticked which may make a difference

10.30 p.m. Good news - I am now sending and receiving emails on my laptop

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok! good to hear
If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.