Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Since downloading Windows 10 all my Word & Open Office documents

Since downloading Windows 10 all my Word & Open Office documents are now 'read only'. I have tried to change the properties but the system says I need Administrator permission. The same applies to when I try to save one of the documents with a changed suffix, e.g. odt to doc. The system says I do not have permission to save to 'Documents'. How do I access a page that will allow me to grant such permissions please? I am the administrator according to the system files.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you do the following please
Close all programs
Press the windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (Admin)
A black window opens
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Then tell me if you still have the issue please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard. I have followed all your instructions. One problem encountered was that after the restart the scan and repair locked up at 10% completed. I let it run on for 1.5 hrs then switched off. On the next restart I stopped the scan within the 10 seconds and the computer reverted back to the normal start-up, although very slowly (2.56mins). Nothing has changed re my original problem and I still can't access a screen to change administrator permissions. I still need help please.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You need to let it complete, if it took 1.5 hours then it means there were massive issues and it needs time to fix this.
With such problems it can take up to 5 hours depending on the amount of issues, but we need to let it complete sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks, I'll give it another try. Probably speak again later.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Again, not being difficult, but if it was taking that amount of time there is a serious issue so we need to let it complete please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard. Finally completed the scan/repair; almost 4 hrs. Now I just need an answer to my original problem - How do I grant permissions as Administrator. My document files are still 'read only'. Strangely, my open office .calc files are OK for editing. I would like to change the 'read only' status and also be able to save to 'My Documents'. both are still saying I need Administrator's permission.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, go to Control Panel, User accounts.Does it list your account as an administrator?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took a bit of finding. Got to it by putting user accounts into search. Anyway, it lists me as administrator,'Keith Graver,***@******.***,administrator, password *****'.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If you copy the files to a USB stick, then set them on the USB stick from read only, what then happens?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll give it a go and come back. In the meantime I have found that if I copy and paste to one of my other folders (Not the My Documents) then it changes from read only.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, this is the same conceptCan you do that then for all of them please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have copied a dozen .doc files to the stick and opening from the stick, they work correctly.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, now when you copy back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When trying to copy/paste or drag and drop, both ask for administrator permission. I even tried deleting the originals. (I still have them on the stick)
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, there were a lot of issues on the hard disk and when you did the upgrade and this is why your going to be having all these issues.
We fixed the hard disk issues, but we will need to undo the windows 10 upgrade, then redo it as something has gone wrong with the update and it will be related to this hard disk problem that you had.
To access this, open the Start menu and select Settings. Click the “Update & security” icon and select “Recovery.”
You should see a “Go back to Windows 7″ or “Go back to Windows 8.1″ option. Click the Get started button to get rid of your Windows 10 install and restore your previous Windows install. Microsoft will ask you why you want to go back.
Then test if the files are ok and if so redo the windows upgrade again.
Let me know the results please
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Richard. Reversal completed and functions are working again. However, the files that were altered to read only are still so and I will convert them later. I don't think I'll bother going back to Windows 10 until they have sorted the wrinkles out. They had similar problems with 8 I think that;s why I opted for 7 when I bought this computer. However, many thanks for your efforts and I will now post my review. Best regards, Keith