Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Dowloaded Windows 10 together with Microsoft Edge but now seem

Customer Question

Dowloaded Windows 10 together with Microsoft Edge but now seem to have 'lost' direct access to Microsoft Edge. The Edge icon(shortcut) has disappeared from the toolbar and the app is no longer listed. However, the browser does come up through links in e'mails ??
The Windows 10 website does not seem to permit independent downloads of Microsoft Edge.
How can I return it to normal function
Patrick Kenny
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Click in the search in the bottom left and type in edge
Then when it shows, right click and select pin to task bar and also pin to start menu and it should then be returned.
If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well Richard

When I right click on Edge Browser in the pane, it just takes me to Bing search engine with the option of a number of sites to try to download Microsoft Edge. I have been through this process before and could not download the app. on its own !!

I should mention for the record that I am in the U.K. and Windows 10 has only recently become available as a free download which was O.K. until I 'Lost' access to Microsoft Edge ??

Have you any other suggestions ?

Patrick

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your not doing the instructions Patrick as I listed it, your doing it within Edge and you do not Download the app.
Can you go back and very carefully follow the instructions I am giving you please? It does work,
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did exactly as you said but with the wrong result !!

I have tried it again since but now I don't get any thing ??

Edge is my default browser so are you saying I should go into Chrome and try again there ??

Patrick

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, you do not go into any browser. I know its not right as you go to Bing and if you did my instructions thats not possible.I instructions are step by step... so I dont know how to explain them in more detail.Ill just connect to your computer at no extra charge and do it myself.Can I ask you do the below instructions pleaseCan you go to www.teamviewer.com Click on Download for Free Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Teamviewer

I/D -669942196

p/w-779

Hope this does the trick !!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
nearly!
You missed a number on the password
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, should be 7789

Patrick

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
that works
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That was tricky and very complicated to me an elderly layman!!

I am sorry it took so long but thank you very much for your efforts

Patrick Kenny

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Its ok Patrick and great it is now fixed!
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****

My congratulations were a bit premature??

I was happy that shortcuts for Microsoft edge had appeared on my desktop and in the toolbar!!

Unfortunately, clicking on the icons did not open Microsoft Edge, so I am back to square one!.In punting around the net I have noted a number of people have had the same problem and tried various solutions some of which look pretty tortuous !.

It is annoying rather than desperate and has wasted a lot of time

Have you come across any easy solution since our last efforts ??

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The solutions that work I did on your computer.What happens when you use the icon?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nothing at all ,did not open Microsoft Edge - Which still comes up, however, when I open a link to a page of info etc. - so the program is on the computer somewhere ?

I have since tried System Restore again so now the icons have gone !!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, pity on the system restore
But do this please
Press the windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (admin)
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Then tell me if it appears and you can use it please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have restarted the computer but no shortcuts have appeared for Microsoft Edge - is that what you were expecting ?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You ran my commands Patrick?
It did the scans?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it all took quite a while and I restarted as advised- then it took quite long time again updating before starting

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, now right click on the desktop and click on New Shortcut
Go to C:\windows\SystemApps\MicrosoftEdge\and the First Microsoft Edge in the list.
Click ok and tell me if when you double click it it opens please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

On clicking 'next', I get the message that Microsoft Edge cannot be found

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Its not exactly spelt like that as they add random text after it per computer (annoying)
Click browse and get to it that way please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I click browse what shortcut/program do I use to get to it?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You go to C:\windows\SystemApps\MicrosoftEdge\and the First Microsoft Edge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Clicking on next I got the message that the file cannot be found !!

O.K. Richard I have had enough for today, my dinner is overcooking in the oven and I am being harassed by my wife to go to the table??

So Richard, thank you for all your efforts but you are off the hook!!

Goodbye

Patrick

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, remember no time limit here so when you ready today / tomorrow / next week, we can continueBut we are looking at a reinstall of windows.