Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Had a hdd crash on my T420 Thinkpad. Have installed a new

Customer Question

Had a hdd crash on my T420 Thinkpad. Have installed a new hdd. Re-installed W7 with new user account (call it J1). Downloaded all data from external hard drive used for backup. These are based on three original user accounts (M1, M2 and M3). When i use control panel my user accounts page lists only J1 and Guest accounts. I can see accounts M1, M2 and M3 using Windows Explorer (which also lists J1 and Public). How do i get the M1, M2 and M3 user accounts added into the control panel user accounts page with their own picture and name etc? Many thanks in advance. Jim McCallum
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
You will have to actually add the accounts manually Jim then sign into each account and copy the files.
Unless you used an actual Image backup, you need to first go to Control Panel, create the new account, set the picture.
Then restart the computer and sign into that account.
Then copy the files to it and repeat for the 3rd user account.
If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard,
How do i copy the files over - using Windows Explorer? On M1 for example do i select Contacts, Desktop, Downloads, Favorites, JMCC Website, Links, My Documents, My Pictures, My Videos, Saved Games, and Searches - which are all the listed files under M1 user - and then Copy and Paste to J1 user, which has all these files listed as well?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes, just within windows explorer.
Just like pasting and copying any files.
Let me know if you have any difficulties please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry these are folders not files. OK I'll give it a try and see what happens.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is also the same, files or folders, its the same concept to right click and paste it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried to create another account (of lesser importance) and it doesn't appear on the WE listing. I realise that i have to restart the computer as you say above but that means i lose this connection. So i need to rate you first - is that correct?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
That is correct, but when you restart you then can sign into that account and copy over.
Thats when you see it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, will do. Thanks.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome!
Will be here for any issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard,
Back again. Looks like everything's OK.
Thanks and regards
Jim
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Perfect Jim!
If you ever need anything else, please let me know