Bryan
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

I have "upgraded" to Window10. Much is good/great but ............ Emails

I have "upgraded" to Window10. Much is good/great but ............
Emails containing an attached Word doc cannot be opened by my legitimate version of Word 2010. They do not open in Outlook 2010 (which I want) or internet Outlook.
I am loosing my patience and will revert to my old system within 72 hours if I cannot sort out this problem.
There are also excel issues but I might live with those if the rest worked.
Don
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, and thank you for asking your question. Do you get any error/message when trying to open up the attached documents now? May I set up a quick remote session, which will allow me to connect directly to your screen and check the issue here? Please reply back to me below. Thank you.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, do you still need help with this? Do let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The message is

"Word experienced an error trying to open the file. Try these suggestions.

Check the file permissions for the document or drive.

Make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space.

Open the file with the text recovery converter."

There is then a further explanation

"This error message can appear for several reasons.

The document may be corrupt or damage. Use either the Recover Text converter or the Open and Repair feature.

Both are available from the open dialogue."

They are certainly not available with the open dialogue in Word 2010 in my version at least.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I see, all right. Please save the attached document to your system first, and then right-click on the saved file, and select Properties. In the Properties window, click on the "Unblock" button at the bottom, and click OK. Are you able to open up the file all right now? Do let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks very much - it works but this is not an ideal workaround.

It was possible prior to Windows 10 to have a one click solution to open files.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
OK, no issues. Now, please do this: Open Word, and then go to File (click on the Office icon at the top left) | Options | Trust Center | Trust Center Settings | Protected View. Un-check all of the three options listed there, and then click OK. Close and re-open Outlook thereafter; this should resolve your issue with opening the attached documents directly. If you need more help, please use the Reply tab to continue our conversation. Otherwise, I'd appreciate it if you could kindly take a moment to RATE my service by clicking on (and submit) a star rating at the top of this page. Thank you!