Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

I have an Acer Aspire M3201 desktop and my cpu appears to be

Customer Question

I have an Acer Aspire M3201 desktop and my cpu appears to be running appears to be running at 100%. I beleive that the cpu which is a phenom 9150e is not substantial enough as when trying to edit hd video my system shuts down. The graphics are AMD VISION Engine Control Center Version 2013.0429.2313.39747. Is it possible to upgrade cpu
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about your issues with your Acer desktop. To check for available CPU upgrade for your desktop, we need to know the exact model of your motherboard since the motherboard determines the type of compatible CPUs.Can you please tell me the exact make and model of your motherboard? You can use a free tool to check that, I recommend using Speccy. Here is the link:http://www.piriform.com/speccyPlease download, install and run that free tool and then tell me the exact make and model of your PC motherboard so that we can check if you can upgrade your CPU.Please let me know so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mother board Acer RS780HVF (AM2) is that enough or do you require more in depth info

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thank you for writing back. Is that the motherboard information listed in the Speccy program? Please give me a moment to check its compatible upgrades.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes as in Speccy

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Can you please tell me the CPU as listed there in Speccy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

cpu as per speccy AMD Phenom X4 9150e
Agena 65nm Technology

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information. Please give me a moment to look for your compatible CPU upgrade.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thank you for patiently waiting. There is not much information that the Acer website provided for your motherboard. However, after a thorough research, it appears that your motherboard is socket AM2 and as such, it can use AMD processors that are socket AM2 as well. Also, it can use processors that are socket AM2+ but only few AM3 processors will work in your motherboard. So it is safe to just upgrade to the AM2+ processors.Currently, you are using AMD Phenom X4 9150e and it is running 1.8GHz. You can upgrade to the faster processors listed in this link:http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/AMD/Phenom_X4/index.htmlIn that list, you can use the Phenom X4 9950 that is 2.6GHz but it requires more power (125 - 140 watts) so you need to upgrade your power supply as well, like a 450watts to 600watts power supply.Here is an online store selling this processor but unfortunately, it is out of stuck as of this writing:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103273I hope that helped.Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.Thank you!Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry if you have been waiting but I had to leave pc and when away from pc I am out of contact. I hope you agreed that I need to upgrade cpu will have to check if that one is available. will rate you if you answer with anything just to get the ratings back

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I already posted an answer above. Have you seen my last post? And yes, please take your time and you can rate me any time. DO not worry, I will still be able to assist you further even after your rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jess have been looking for the Phenom processers and the top ones all seem to be out of stock and not expecting supplies some sites even say discontinued

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thank you for writing back. Unfortunately, since this processor series was released few years back, it could be phased out already, which means AMD is no longer manufacturing it. Thus, availability in the market is less.I believe you are in the UK so here is an Amazon link that I found for you, please verify it first before you buy it.http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-Black-Edition-Socket/dp/B001F4UV6I
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

These are used ones which I also found on Amazon UK site and Ebay but I am not keen as to how long they would last. Thank you. I will see if there is a newer alternative available

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.Thank you for using our service. If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time by posting a new question starting with "For Jess M" so that I can assist you immediately.Best regards,Jess