Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Whats best to get 4 sticks of 4gb ram or 2 sticks of 8gb r

whats best to get 4 sticks of 4gb ram or 2 sticks of 8gb ram
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
2 sticks of 8GB ram as this leave more space in the future for any additional upgrades you may wish to do.
Also it usually works out cheaper to get less sticks of ram.
Plus the computer can address 2 sticks faster then 4 sticks as there is less coordination
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

will it make any difference to the speed of my pc if i use 4 4gb sticks as they are cheaper than 2 sticks of 8

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Not a real noticeable one. Its millionths of seconds. Especially not for general use of the computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i am using it for gaming. i was told to get 2 8gb ram sticks but can only seem to find 4 4gb sticks in stock . In your opinion would you buy the 4 or wait until the 8gb ones are in stock they are the new DDR4 type

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I would wait for the 8GB come into stock if you can. Especially for DDR4But remember, for gaming its the Video card that matters, not the Ram unless you have an onboard video card.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so the ram i buy will make no impact on my gaming

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Not on Gaming, as this uses the memory on the video card.The ram has an impact on the general use of the computer, so how windows loads to memory ect.,unless you have an onboard, built in video card.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i have a geforce gtx 970 graphics card to install. exactly what would i be missing out on if i buy the 4 sticks of 4gb

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Only the possibility to further upgrade later on as your taking up more slots.Plus a very slight performance level less then 2 8GB sticks within General use of windows.Nothing in regards ***** ***** gaming.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

would i ever notice the slight performance level

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
If you did intense calculations maybe. But not really for general use.
I added it as a point only to give a complete list of reasons between the two.
For your setup, if its all about gaming and for you the 4x4 is cheaper, and you don't expect to further upgrade later on needing more slots, then the 4x4 will suffice very well David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thank you very much for your time