Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Over the last 3 months I have been receiving many complaints

Customer Question

Over the last 3 months I have been receiving many complaints from my friends on my "Contacts list" re. the transfer of 'Whatsapp' info. on emails sent from me. Originally it was passed on to me by a good and reliable friend who obviously got caught up in the racquet. I do not have anything to do with this messaging service and I object to their usurping my private account. What can I do about it? I'm losing my friends..Please help me.... Carol
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Sorry Carol I am not completely clear on your issue.
Are you saying your friends on Whatsapp are receiving spam messages?
Or are emails going to your whatsapp friends?
Please try to provide as much information as possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have no friends on Whatsapp whatever. I have no wish to be involved in that company. 3 months ago after receiving a email sent by a friend, I was encouraged to try to open a film clip it turned out to be advertizing this company. I could not open it as it happened but from then on, friends were ringing me to ask if an email they had just received from me was legit. No I said it is a hack. Dump it!

That first night after receiving this email, I had over 20 messages from the Postmaster to say : emails from me with the Whatsapp to mostly unknown addresses were not delivered and this has been repeated many times since then. If you are able to open my email info I have left some on so you can see the problem.......

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, this is not actually from Whatsapp Carol, or anything to do with it, it is hackers that gained access to your email account and are pretending to be them. This happened when you opened this film clip which was a philshing email
Can you tell me please, which email service do you use?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
***@******.***

If you recommend changing live.com, how do I inform all my contacts of the change of address? Would a change of Password ***** easier?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, just the password *****
To change the password, do the following
In Live, click on the gear wheel in the top right and click Options
Click Account Details
Click on Security & Privacy
There click Change Password ***** change it
This will stop them having access to your email account
BUT: There is another way they can do this and that is by sending fake emails using your email address. This anyone can do, and this you cannot stop. Example is on this website you can send an email to anyone using anyones email address
http://www.deadfake.com/Send.aspx
You will see there you can use anyone's from address. Due to how email works., this you cannot stop.
So in addition to changing your password, inform people that hackers may be fraudulently using your email address, you cannot stop this and that they should ignore and delete any types of emails such as this.
This is the most you can do Carol, and always avoid any emails and especially any links that look suspicious or do not seem right.
If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Re. just changing Password ***** stop the old series of emails being used over and over again, or will it?

If I were to change my address, is there a way of grouping my "contacts" so I can circulate one message to them all?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No it wont sorry, but it will stop further access.Yes you can by clicking on the nine dots in the top left in Live and then clicking PeopleThen click on the check box next to AllThen click Send EmailIt will then set up a new email with everyone into the To address for youLet me know if you have any difficulties please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where are the 9 dots and an opportunity to see people in live. Will I find them on my Email screen? can't say I have noticed any dots....!

Hope you have had time for some lunch!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
They are at the top left when you go to live.com and send your emails.If your not seeing them, then your using a different interface and you need to tell me which please or then its not going to be possible for you and you would need to enter in their email addresses as normalIf you like, I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.