Cpolarek
Cpolarek, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  10 YR IT Manager
30863715

I have Outlook 2013 installed on my PC and Widows 8.1. I have

Customer Question

I have Outlook 2013 installed on my PC and Widows 8.1. I have a Nokia 520 phone which has Windows 8.1. I can receive and send emails from my phone and Outlook contacts have been synced. I do not use Exchange.
I have tried to sync my Outlook calendar held on my PC with my phone via my Microsoft Account, seeking to follow the instructions in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2459660 , but I’m confused. The web site initially refers to syncing calendar, but then mentions transferring a CSV file to contacts (step 5). Can this be correct – copying my calendar to contacts, and what will happen to the contacts data I’ve already placed in contacts as a CSV file?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Cpolarek replied 2 years ago.
The part you're looking at says Manually import your outlook contacts into your Microsoft account. This wouldn't help you with the calendar. You want to stay at the top of that document.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** the top part of the document refer to people who use Exchange - as far as I'm aware I do not use Exchange. Account Settings in Outlook shows my e-mail account type as POP/SMTP.

Expert:  Cpolarek replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the first part explains how to see if you're using exchange, the next part tells you first w/exchange and then right after that says w/o exchange. Then has you follow the rest of the procedure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm trying to follow the instructions, but Outlook says I need to contact my internet service provider who is not being very responsive.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Following my comments on 4 September at 17.21; I'm not making much progress, but I'm still persevering.

Expert:  Cpolarek replied 2 years ago.
Lets see what we can figure out here. I'll see if there's a different document that would help you out better.
Expert:  Cpolarek replied 2 years ago.
This is the part of the document you need to follow: If you use Outlook without ExchangeIf you use Outlook without Exchange, you have to add your account to your phone and then sync your calendar.Step 1: Add your accountOn Start, flick left to the App list, tap Settings , and then tap Email+accounts.Tap Add an account, and then tap Microsoft account (or Windows Live).Enter your email address and password ***** and then tap Sign in.Step 2: Sync your calendarOption 1: For Outlook 2013 only (Recommended) Use the built-in functionality to move your Outlook calendar events to your Microsoft account.Copy calendar events to your Microsoft accountOpen Outlook 2013 on your computer.Tap or click File, then tap or click Add Account.Select Manually configure server settings or additional server types and tap or click Next.Select Outlook.com or Exchange ActiveSync compatible service and click Next.Enter your name, email address, and mail server as m.hotmail.com and tap or click Next.Tap or click Calendar. New calendars will appear for your Microsoft account.Tap or click the View tab, tap or click Change View, and then tap or click List. Select your Outlook calendar events and appointments from the list view. Tap or click and drag (or copy and paste) the calendar entries to the calendar for your Microsoft account. Your Outlook calendar entries are now copied into your Microsoft account, but you should continue to use this calendar in Outlook. All changes or additions will then be synced to your Microsoft account and your Windows Phone.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've tried the process outlined above many times over the last few days and a few times today. It has eventually worked, by some stroke of good fortune, but I find the Microsoft methodology less than clear-cut.

Thank you for your help.