Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Updating my Packard Bell laptop running win7 to win10. It has

Customer Question

Updating my Packard Bell laptop running win7 to win10. It has been stuck at 76% for the last 5 hours. How can I get it finished?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
If it has been 5 hours then it has crashed and it is not going to complete.
Hold the power button down until it powers off.
Then power it on and tell me please what then happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It tells me it's restoring my previous version of windows
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, let me know how it goes please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm now back to win7 with a message "Windows 10 couldn't be installed" and error code C1900101-4000D Windows update encountered an unknown error. I have an invitation to try again. Would this be wise?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, I have been here many many times.
The only way will be to reinstall windows first, else it keeps erroring.
And I would STRONGLY advise to make sure your files are first backed up.
reinstalling windows returns your computer to new, would you want to do this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Probably not at the moment. This is a little used machine that I thought I would have a look at win10 on before committing myself on my desktop. I think perhaps I'll leave it for a while! May thanks Richard for your brilliant service.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I can tell you that when it does load, its great (windows 10)
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Having restored to win7 I've lost Windows Photo Viewer. As this is my late wife's machine and I use it mainly for viewing the photos she had stored on it, this is a big problem.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is part of windows so should be there.
Right click a photo and choose open with, then choose to set a default program.
Then choose Windows Photo Viewer and it should open in this from now on.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The options it gives are
Adobe Photoshop Elements
Windows Live Movie Maker
Windows Media Centre
Paint
Windows Live Photo Gallery
When clicking other programs it doesn't appear there either.
When I try to open a photo with the normal double click I get a message
"There was a problem starting C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll
The specified module could not be found."
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
choose
Windows Live Photo Gallery
Does this then open?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it does
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, download widows live essentials from here
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/essentials
As part of it, Windows Photo Viewer is installed
Then try to use it please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
using this web address gives me "This page can't be displayed"
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, its working for me
Can you click on this link please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, windows live essential installed but same problem
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, than do the following please
Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Then try to run it please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think you've given me the wrong response
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I did but then deleted it and corrected it, but it did not deleteSorry, ill repeat it belowClick Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator. A black window will open. Type in it sfc /scannow press enter and when it has completed, type in chkdsk /r Press enter. It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.Then try to run it please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brilliant! Everything running fine.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Perfect!