Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have somehow managed to put my screen on "display port" mode

I have somehow managed to put my screen on "display port" mode and I can't get it back. I am (was) using it as a second screen attached to my Dell all I one.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me the make and model of the screen with the fault please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Samsung : model code ls27d85ktsan/en
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, on the font of the screen, press the 4th button from the left, which will change the input source from Display port to the input you have it connected on.
Repeat this until the sceen shows again.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried that already ... All that happens is that I get a picture of a split screen and a choice as t1o whether Display Port or HDMI is on either side; When I exit this the screen goes blank and a small box pops up saying Check Signal Cable ! choice
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
when you say split screen, you mean you see the computer screen twice?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I press this button a small screen pops up with "source" at the top then a picture below of a split screen with a choice of HDMI or Display port on either side and "apply" or "cancel" Doesn't matter what I choose the screen remains blank ?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
which version of windows are you using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just upgraded to Windows 10 .. probably a mistake !
The screen (both screens) was working fine first thing this morning but the resolution was a bit odd : so I tried to change it : MISTAKE : must have pressed too many buttons !
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I think so, but right click on the desktopThen choose Display settingsAre one or two monitors showing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only one now .. if I try "detect" another monitor it tells me nothing detected
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, now unplug the monitor from the computerThen check and identify againTell me when you have
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK done
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, now with the monitor removed from the power socket plug it in t the computerThen power it on and tell me if it then comes up please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope .. the Samsung screen just comes on with a small box in the top left hand corner telling me which side of the screen is supposed to be HDMI and which is Display Port then this disappears and the box flashes up saying Check Signal cable at the top and Display Port at the bottom
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, can you leave it disconnected and restart the computer and come back here please before connecting it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK .. how do I get back to here ?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
please just return to this web page and post a message, like you are doing now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I'm back (windows did an update in the meantime !!)
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, now connect the monitor while it is powered on and tell me if it is now showing in the display settings please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately not .. doesn't matter what I do the monitor is stuck on "display port" setting !
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then monitor is doing that as it senses no signal.Its a compatibility issue with windows 10, we have ruled out everything else for this,There are still issues with hardware and windows 10. I see this a lot.You have two choices. Either you wait till the next update, and check if Samsung have given Microsoft a fix for this in it.Or we go back to your previous version of windows where it was working.Which would you like to do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh blimey !!!
I just tried holding the "display port" button for ten seconds and it all seems to have reverted back !!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, there is no function from the monitor for holding it for 10 seconds, that wont do anything. Are you sure you were pushing it hard enough before?Is it now being detected by windows?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems to be ...I have TWO screens duplicating each other.
When I log back into Citrix I need to have two separate screens but I think I know how to do this.
I am not convinced I did the right t5hing upgrading to Windows 1 but I kept being asked to do so. I also have a surface pro 3 on Windows 8.1 : should I leave that for now ?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, in the display settings you select Extend my desktop to extend rather then duplicate.To be honest, I believe you will get this problem again. Maybe it was the last windows update that happened on the restart that solved it, but if this happens again, and this is for work, I would revert back to windows 8.1http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-downgrade-to-windows-7-or-8.1/Just keep an eye on it as there are still incompatibilities in windows 10If you ever have issues, you can always let me know here and if you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.Thank you
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks .. I may well revert back.
I'll see how my work day goes today. Already lost an hour or so !!
Thanks for your help.
'Bye
Jon
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
your welcome Jon and no problemAnd please remember to rate my service via the stars at the top of the screen then submit.Thank you