Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Consultant
Experience:  Over 20 years experience with Apple/Windows desktop publishing, design, troubleshooting
25267123

HDC-SD60 to mac. When I see the footage on the SD card on

Customer Question

HDC-SD60 to mac.
When I see the footage on the SD card on the mac it shows a file called AVCHD (in PRIVATE). If I open it, it opens a window in Quick Time Player. The files (or rather thumbnails) don't have a proper file name. They're named by the date and the time they were recorded.
I can't access each file for each take. The camera seems to think everything shot is one huge take with pauses. I need each take to save as a separate file. Ideally .MP4 though I guess I could convert .mts
I can't find a page in the menus to set the record format. Though I'm sure I have done this a year ago. (I haven't used the camera for a year or so.)
How can I set the camera so that each take can be seen on the SD card and in Finder (on MAc) as a separate file with it's own number?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 1 year ago.
What version of system 10 and also imovie are you runnning?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

forget it.

trial and error while waiting for someone to deign to reply led to changing the file arrangement in finder. there the file is revealed not just as a wrapper but a .zip file. Unzipped you get AVCHDTN, BDMV and IISVPL. STREAM below BDMV lists the .mts files.

quite why it has to be so f**king obscure is beyond me. that'll teach me to want to do things a way that steve jobs hasn't prescribed I guess; and has wasted forty-odd quid of my money.

That is the camera not the Mac. Depending on the system and imovie version it should show up fine on the latest versions. Cameras change the formats, etc. and you have to keep updated. I don't know if you have the latet verison becasue you nevver said, but updating should fix that problem. Let me know ... I am still here to help you and our service has a satisfaction guarantee
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

IMOVIE 9.09 BECAUSE THE LATER VERSION IS HOPELESS FOR THE WORK I DO.

OSX 10.9.5

None of which explains why 12 months ago the files showed in finder properly. after leaving the camera unused it now shows like this..

Not sure why the newer verson would be worse but I would try reformatting the card in the camera. Have youu tried Final Cut Pro if you are using it for work that is what you should be using anyway. Have you checked your hard drive for problems? Also do not look in the Finder... use iMovie / Import from Camera if that was working before. To check your drive:Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know. The finder view of files on the camera would not change from system to system I think you are just not remembering how you did it in the past. Let me know...