Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ MCSE with over 12 years experience.
13274453

I have a sumsung laptop model NP 350E7C - A05UK. It works

I have a sumsung laptop model NP 350E7C - A05UK. It works on the battery but the screen is blank unless it is plugged into the mains. This seems to be connected to recent windows updates
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. Please try this to see if you can clear this up. Hold down the power button until the laptop shuts off. Until all the lights go out and you can hear the laptop shut down. Remove the power adapter and battery.Hold the power button down for 60 seconds to remove static.Re-install just the battery and power on the laptop.Let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No difference. Still have the same problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have to go out now. Will have to continue later
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I'll send further instructions in the meantime.
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
If Windows Update caused this we can roll those back.While looking at the desktop screen hold down the Windows logo key (just to the left of the spacebar)and press R.In the Run box text area type: rstrui.exe and click OKWhen the System Restore window opens click NextPut a checkmark in the Show More Restore Points boxSelect a restore date BEFORE this issue started and click NextClick FinishWhen the restore has finished and the laptop restartedthe previous updates will have been removed and the laptop should operate as it did before.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The earliest date shown on the list after check marking the Show More Restore Point box is 17th August 2015, and this problem started a long time before that date
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Since this has been happening for a long time it doesn't seem to be related to recent Windows updates.Since the screen goes out on battery but not mains I suspect some type of power-save setting.Go to Control Panel and open Power Options.Set the screen Never to turn off on both battery and power and to Never go to sleep as well.I need to ask a question about the behaviour of the laptop: if you turn the laptop on, with only battery power, and let it start up, and the screen is out, if while it is running you plug the power adapter in does the screen instantly come on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I think my use of the word recent misled you. I have had this problem for the past 3 to 4 months. Have checked and all settings are never to turn off or go to sleep on both battery and power. When the laptop is started up on battery the screen is ok for the first 2 to 3 seconds, then it goes blank and flashes on again for less than one second, then goes blank again. As soon as I connect the power lead it comes on instantly. The reason I think it is linked to windows updates is that when automatic windows updates are being downloaded the screen is ok on battery, but when they are being applied it goes blank again. I think I may also have misled you on the original information as I think I said the operating system is windows 7, but it is in fact windows 8. Could this be a known problem with windows 8? Do you think the problem could be resolved if I upgrade to windows 10.
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for clearing that up as I was wondering whether this may be a hardware issue. Start by going here:http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/NP350E7C-A05UKand running Samsung's SW Update.I suspect that at this point you've upgraded to Windows 8.1You can confirm your version by going to Control Panel and opening SystemThat page will give you the details.I can't say for sure upgrading to Windows 10 would resolve this but after installing the upgrade you'll have 30 days to roll it back to Windows 8 if desired.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have run the SW Update and it worked, Problem solved. Thank you very much for your help.